Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss what heating mat under tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jimshell

hi, can anyone tell me which is the best heating mat to put under my tiles, was going to use devi mat but looking in ebay there are lots 'cheaper' in different makes, are they any good or is it the old case of you get what you pay for! im not a tight wad but does look tempting to get cheaper one. oh subfloor is concrete and was getting 160watt/sqmtr matting not wire. any help much appreciated

U

uug197h

dont go for the cheap option from ebay your better shoping round the tile shops on the net or the high street then if theres a problem then you can get help from the supplyer

G

Gazzer

Devimat is good as is Warmup. Many others to choose from beware though when trying to save money that the full kit is supplied (thermostat etc)
If you want to save, have you thoought about running costs? laying it direct to concrete floor will lose heat thus you will be losing money that way.
Is it a Kitchen or Bathroom floor?

J

jimshell

hi, it is a kitchen floor, size is 3625mm x 2600mm. am going to heat wall to wall even under units!!?? have had mixed views with this, some say do, some not to. does it make a difference other than cost? according to devi site i would need 8sqmtrs if matting

D

DHTiling

UFH manufacturers DO NOT advise you to put there mats etc under kitchen units etc.........You only need to put it in open area's......insulation boards will dramatically reduce running costs.............

J

jimshell

hi dave, thought about putting boards under, but when measuring up, if i used 6mm boards,cable/matting in latex screed then tiling on top of that then will not be able to open door to driveway without changing door or chopping floor out neither of which i want to do. what about cold spots in the floor, no other heat in the kitchen

G

Gazzer

If you dont use mats then some heat will travel down so you will be not getting the full heat from the mats and maybe a 200w systemwould be better for a kitchen.

D

DHTiling

Electric UFH is only supposed to be an ambient heat source...not a sole heat source for a room...unless it was a wet UFH then it will heat the room...electric UFH is not designed to replace your normal heat source..i.e radiators etc....
and using insulation boards will stop the heat soaking away in to the substrate and this will make the floor colder......:thumbsup:

H

Highlander

Only use Warmup and it is the loose wire I use. I got into the habit of using it in bathrooms lot better than the hassle of matts having to cut and reposition wires for toilets etc at least with the loose wire you can position cable around obstacles. Agree with Dave you dont put under cabinets or if you know where the big firidge is going to be standing in a kitchen. I will only lay onto the insulation board and if you explain to the customer that if they use the boards they will pay for themselves over time as it reduces the running costs but quite a margine.

Hope that helps

Gary

Highland Tilers

M

mark neville

there is a product called acrylic thermal primer . reduces energy loss up to 20 percent ,roller or brush on 1lt covers 16m2 from floor heating systems ltd :yes:

J

jimshell

is warm up better then devi? is there any other way of boarding floor if boards half the size then this would make the job much easier have also said that a plinth heater could be a good idea. all this trouble just to warm your kitchen. :mad2: got this job at end of month and guess who has got to fit kitchen aswell:hang: the things you do for family.....bloody mdf splashbacks to fit and cut as well

J

jimshell

cheers guys will mill it over and think fit the plinth heater anyway. many thanks to all better go missis calling:grin: and seen predator on itv too many times now:thumbsup:

Reply to what heating mat under tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks