Search the forum,

Discuss Wet tile cutter for natural stone (marble/limestone) - buy Briccolina or not? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

edwardk

Hi, I've been reading around a bit as I need to buy some tools. I think I have a handle on this but wanted to double check that the tools I think I need are suitable :)

I've got a 23m sq kitchen floor to tile with 600 x 400 limestone (applestone).
A 7m sq bathroom floor to tile with 600 x 400 botticino marble.
Bathroom walls to tile with 600 x 400 limestone (I think it's sinema / sort of rough grain and a few inclusions/fossils). About 20m sq.

I was looking at getting a wet cutter.
Had the following shortlisted:

Briccolina Wet Saw (230v)

Master Tiler Wet Saw

Vitrex QEP Pro 750 - Tradetiler Wet Tile Saws

Axminster Tile cutter (rails) - Buy Axminster Tile Cutter with Laser Line & Stand from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

I'm not sure whether I need a rail one or just stick with a flatbed jobbie.

So far I'm leaning towards the Briccolina and adding a Macrist CK850 blade.
Am hoping that will get the job done.
Then either keep the saw for other jobs for mates or flog it/pass it on to other mates doing up their houses. Not keen to rent as I take ages to do anything....

Will ask about sponges and trowels and lasers later...
Thanks
Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scott

I have heard great reports on the briccolina and also that blade. Sounds like the best option. I have had a look at some Zxminster carpentry tools of lat eand their stuff looks good but not sure about the tile cutter. I have the plasplugs one and its been a good little cutter over the years but you need a decent blade for any 'nice' cuts.

G

Gazzer

1st forget the axminster...maximum capacity is 560mm and seeing as you are using 600mm tiles it will be limited.

Out of the others you mention I would be looking at the power of the motor, The Bricolina is only 240 w as stated in the advert and thats not a lot when cutting stone. it is a fine machine for other jobs but also let down by the size of the cutting bed.
This leaves the plasplugs or Vitrex which are almost identical. I have a Plasplugs machine and have used it for around 3 years now, its been fine so either of the those 2 would be my choice.

Reaction score
I have the QEP750 as a handy cutter when I can't be bothered to rig up my DeWalt.:smilewinkgrin:
I used to have the PP Master which as Sir says is nigh on the exact same cutter.
It's a great little machine and more than capable for your job.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
E

edwardk

So you guys think the Briccolina is not such a good idea and the Vitrex is better ?

Is this down to motor size : 240 (Briccolina) vs 750 (Vitrex)
And bed size : Briccolina (small bed) vs Vitrex (larger bed size)

Is it a good call to get the better blade (Macrist CK850).

Thanks
Ed

E

edwardk

Thanks for all the help - I went with the Vitrex 750 and the Marcrist 850K blade (180mm - hopefully it'll fit - bore-wise).

Looking forward to actually starting ....

Ed

E

edwardk

Just got the Vitrex + Marcrist 850K.

Just unwrapped it and fitted the blade - put the top back on and manually/slowly rotated the blade.... there is a wobble of about a mil and a half maybe 2mm from side to side.

Is this a problem ?

I'm more used to wood tools - are there any adjustments screws for lateral movement?

Will it just mean a slightly wider kerf / saw cut or will it mess things up and needs to go back ?

Help !
Ed

S

Spud

applestone is fairly soft for flooring and some stone suppliers have stopped recommending it for flooring these days

D

DHTiling

Just unwrapped it and fitted the blade - put the top back on and manually/slowly rotated the blade.... there is a wobble of about a mil and a half maybe 2mm from side to side.

This could be a spindle problem.. does it do it with the original blade on.?

M

Mike

i use the vitrex 750 too, i'm on my 3rd one now, the second one had a slight wobble so i took it back and changed it for another. it's still not perfect now, it may be the blade tho (marchrist)

E

edwardk

I've put the original blade back on and same story. I've measured the wobble and it's about 0.5mm... I guess I can live with this. Annoying that it isn't spot on but then again it was £80 odd quid so what can you expect.

I have a compound slide mitre saw (for wood) from DeWalt that has adjustment screws for alignment.

It would be so easy (I think!) to add some simple screws to align the spindle on these Vitrex wet saws....

Anyway - going to try and lay some applestone limestone today (and hope that it isn't too soft for a kitchen floor.... wish I'd known that before I bought it :( ) Guess it'll have to be barefeet indoors then and the hobnails stay outside in the shed...

Thanks for all the help - Ed

Reply to Wet tile cutter for natural stone (marble/limestone) - buy Briccolina or not? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen