Search the forum,

Discuss Weight Calculations in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Taz8130

Does anyone have a calculation to estimate approx. m2/kg weight of tiles ?

Customer has asked for 300 x 560 x 10.5 porcelain tiles to go onto skimmed plasterboard. have advised him that these walls will only take up to 20kg.....:eek:ut:

B

bj F

I will be very surprised if they are within the limits can you not put one on some scales

D

DHTiling

The maximum weight of tiling which can be supported by a dry, well-adhered plaster background is 20kg/m². This is equivalent to ceramic tiles with a maximum thickness of 8mm plus tile adhesive or natural stone tiles with a maximum thickness of 7mm plus tile adhesive
The weight of tiling to a plasterboard background direct (without plaster skim) should not exceed 32kg/m². This is equivalent to a ceramic tile and adhesive with a maximum thickness of 12.5mm and natural stone and adhesive with a maximum thickness of 10mm.
It is important to emphasise that the weights quoted includes both the tile and adhesive.

Wall Substrates Maximum Weight of Tiling per m²

Gypsum Plaster 20Kg/m²

Gypsum Plasterboard Direct (without a plaster skim) 32Kg/m²

Plywood (WBP) Up to 30Kg/m²

Lightweight Tilebacking Boards* Up to 40Kg/m². Dependant upon the type and thickness of the board.

Glass reinforced Cement Sheets Up to 50kg/m², Dependant upon the type and thickness of the board.

Gypsum Fibre boards Approximately 35- 40Kg/m²

T

Taz8130

The customer has..for some reason only known to him...unpacked all the tiles and thrown away all the boxes so i couldnt get the weight off them.

His face was a picture when I told him that the skim would have to come off if he wanted to continue with these tiles. He's just paid a small fortune to a plasterer !!

B

bj F

Are those weight ratios the same for all sizes of tile i.e 10 by 10 and 20 by 20 and so on.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

That is an equivalant of a sqr mtr..so doesn't matter what tile...just the area of tile...and the thickness...

O

Olz

His face was a picture when I told him that the skim would have to come off if he wanted to continue with these tiles. He's just paid a small fortune to a plasterer !!

Isn't it funny how many people have walls replastered then tiled, I think it's a bit of a phychological thing where when people are doing some major decorating, having the walls replastered so they look nice and knew before covering them with something else!

I've literally seen the moment dawn on people's faces when they realise they've paid hunderends for the walls to be replastered when they could have just had them boarded, and that they are actually weaker from a tiling perspective. :mad2:

T

TilingLogistics

Does anyone have a calculation to estimate approx. m2/kg weight of tiles ?

Customer has asked for 300 x 560 x 10.5 porcelain tiles to go onto skimmed plasterboard. have advised him that these walls will only take up to 20kg.....:eek:ut:

Porcelain Tiles weigh around 23-24KG M2 as a rule of thumb based on 10mm thickness that weight is usually then increased proportionally depending on thickness so in your case 25.2KG plus adhesive and grout said to be around 6kgM2. The calculation is never very far out:thumbsup:

Kev

Reply to Weight Calculations in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I will soon be installing the Wunda EPS 400 UFH boards in my own kitchen, approx 50m2...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen