Search the forum,

Discuss We have just started to stock a new type of tile spacer at 365Drills to see.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

trevortine

I personally wouldnt use these, I like to see the joints and as previously mentioned there is the problem with unrectified tiles. I have always used rubi spacers and never leave them in, they are placed straight on and a wedge used with them if neccesary. Sorry to be negative about a new product but I dont think its something for a proffesional.

O

Olz

I are where he is coming from by saying they are easy to pull out, but there are surely to basic options. One spacer where four corners meet, laid flat and left it and grouted over, or four spacers where corners meet leg in only and removed before grouting. He can't seriously believe that people put spacers in flat and then try and dig them out before grouting surely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Mike Mike

Not come across the Mitre Wizz yet... I think the general benefit is that these spacers are supposed to be chunky enough so that they dont get lost during tiling.

The main sellin point being that standard spacers can either slip down the back of tiles if they tile had to be packed out, or left in situ by mistake and grouted over.

Also the point about solving having to fiddle about trying to prise them out of their slots because they are not proud of the tile rather they are flush or recessed.

Easy for fat fingers to yank out. Those things seem to make a bit of sense to me (But hey waddo I know) !!

I will chat to him about the price. What footprint would 250 take up? Probably about the size of a shoebox.

Maybe a price of £19.99 for the set would bring the cost down to 8p and be sensible ??

I would buy 250 of the 2mm ones for £19.99 to try them (I am a tool and gadget addict).

D

Deleted member 1779

Maybe I need to talk to this guy to get him to send a few samples out. I did say we could post out like one or two with each bathroom fitters kit to see how they play out.

I have to agree I dont think much of the tile tracker and can spot the immediate problem that the fixed length of the aluminum bar is a big restriction to using it.
But the inventor is passionate about his product so I did sort of wind my neck in a bit and let market forces decide.

Its like a lot of this stuff sometimes people do like the products and buy them. But I am still "Jury out" on the tile tracker.
And as for the spacers I did like the idea of them being big fat chunky chips but then I am not a tiler so I cant say whats good and whats not.

But Andy at least as you say you HAVE HAD SAMPLES and based on that - dont rate them. Fair enough. At least you didnt part with cash.

I will give it 6 months and if the products get panned then I think we will withdraw but it did seem worth trying them. Like I said - What do I know !!

P

Peter

Very expensive and would probably mean you would lose your lines on sizey tiles as you cannot see the joints properly. As for reusable, after two uses they'd be ready for the bin unless you want to spend an afternoon picking all the hard adhesive off them. All his products seem useless with no place on the market for professionals, including the overpriced batton. Although the spacers do look like the sort of thing someone in Homebase would buy, along with a plastic v notched trowel.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm open minded about them. I use the spacers"leg in" and remove them, thus using two per tile( with the occasional one in the verticals) If using these,yes they are bulky, but you would only need 1 per tile. However I may as well use 20p pieces in the joints (also 2mm and infinitly reusable), way overpriced,even for a diy er

D

Deleted member 1779

I did wonder how easy / hard it would be to clean up after each use.

Not sure if the material is repelent to adhesive (its probably just HIPS plastic) but I will check with him to see if the product contains any anti-adhesive properties.

If not maybe its something he could develop.

a6.jpg

Noted - the pricing comment. Again I am going to see if he will put a 250 pack together for a sensible price. But it seems even if the price was agressive the product has limited appeal to many based on the comments posted so far.

O

Olz

I wouldn't spend any of your own hard earned cash on selling these Richard, you also have a great reputation and know the trade. Products like his are made by someone who doesn't actually have a clue about the practicalities of the job hence why they seem a good idea to him but pro's think there pointless.

Much like that adhesive machine that took the sausage like cartridges!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Colour Republic

I'm trying to get my head round what it says on packaging. "Enough to lay 25 wall tiles or 27 floor tiles" . Am I just being thick, what is the difference?????

Y

YAMYAM

Did a small 6m Kitchen for someone and they put a pack of these bullet things on the worktop .......... seemed a bit strange to use for brick effect. They went straight under the plinth never to be seen again !!! carry on lol

D

Deleted member 1779

I did wonder what the difference was myself but being a non-tiler I assumed you lot would all understand what the difference was. Obviously this is something only the inventor is privy too and in my basket of questions to him I will add this one too!

My gut feeling is these people are probably great at engineering and production but not so hot on marketing and product messages.

Not really sure how useful it is to know that a pack of 20 spacers is enough to lay 25 wall tiles or 27 floor tiles.

a1.jpg

Based on what assumptions? 800mm x 400mm ? or 600mm x 300mm or what about mosaic tiles?
Its a bit of a blank statement. I think the inventor was worred that buying 20 spacers seemed a bit mean because the standard ones come in boxes of hundreds.
So its his way of explaining there is enough in the pack.

But my view is it makes things more complicated to understand.

Probably better to have a pack of 250 and say this is enough for an entire bathroom project.

I hate marketing statements that raise more questions than it answers.

Reply to We have just started to stock a new type of tile spacer at 365Drills to see.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen