Discuss We have just started to stock a new type of tile spacer at 365Drills to see.... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 1779

We have just started to stock a new type of tile spacer at 365Drills to see.... if its of any use to tilers.

The guy who invented them is from Suretile and is trying to get them to market. I said I would put them up on my website 365Drills to see if there is any commercial interest.

[SIZE=+3]Tile Spacer in more detail

[/SIZE]

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

[SIZE=+2]

[/SIZE]

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a6.jpg

a9.jpg

a5.jpg

a7.jpg

a11.jpg

The big problem with traditional tile spacers is digging them out AFTER the tiles are laid and ahead of grouting.
What often happens is they are so small and weedy that one or two get left behind because an installer missed seeing them so they show up in the grout lines.
If they do get spotted perhaps last minute during grouting it wastes time as grouting is stopped to dig them out.
Because they are so small and weedy if a tile sticks out during laying spacers can disappear completely behind a tile. So in general they're fiddly, slow and awkward to use and weak when used with Large Format Porcelain Tiles.
In contrast the easy to use Uniplug range is brightly coloured, sturdy, robust and reusable for many years. Did you know you only need 20 Uniplug spacers to lay 25 wall tiles but we supply 50 to allow you to finish an entire project. Uniplugs are for professional tilers but also appeal to installers including chubby fingered builders! plumbers, DIYers as well other Handymen. Grab a pack of these very strong tile spacers and make light work of your tiling today.. User tip: The width of these spacers also allow you to align tiles round corners!!
8.jpg

£9.99 includes VAT

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, i think to use them spacers, all tiles should be prfect in size (very rarely). i never stick any spasers as in pics above :).

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Mmmmmm, not sure I would use them, for a few reasons, viewing tiles line up properly ( sizey tiles ) I never normally take spacers out, I'm of the mind that it takes longer, more of my time than the price of the spacers, and I don't like the colour lol. It would be nice to get some feedback on them though, never say never and all that.

B

Bubblecraft

I'm with Tony. I never set them in with the tiles. Always have them sticking out. Makes it easy for removal & as Tony said, with tiles that are different sizes, it's easy enough to pack the difference with other spacers.
The other issue I'd have is cost. How much would 5000 of them cost & how much extra space would that take.
Seems a good idea but just not for me.

(After calculation - 5000 would skin me £1000 for one size of spacer - Yikes!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike Mike

I saw these a while back and they seem like a good idea. I think the inventor is unrealistic trying to sell them in packs of 20 for £9.99 a pack. Definitely aiming at the DIY market, but with a crazy price. I just calculated that the bathroom I tiled today with 400 x 200 tiles would have required 150 of these. That's £75! Although I would be interested to try them, I cannot see what possible reason there would be to justify spending 15 times more than conventional spacers. (Oh, and if I recall, the inventor believes that the fact these are "reusable" is a unique selling point. It isn't. Normal spacers are resuable as well, if applied correctly, and removed before the adhesive sets).

p.s. But if you ever stock the Mitre Wizz then I'll DEFINITELY buy one of those. And so will Tony73. He's extremely excited about the Mitre Wizz!

O

Olz

I always stick spacers leg in and pull them out when the addys set. Either
Drop them on the floor as I remove or onto the work top etc and sweep em all into a pile and put back in bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 1779

Its funny because the jurys out with me too (As a supplier should I be trying a bit harder to flog these???) Nahhh bottom line is its up to you.

For £9.99 you get 50 of them. Its £8.30 + VAT or 20p each and of course they can be reused. I think the inventor was saying they stick out a mile so that you pull them out and you dont need that many to put up a wall.

But all I said to him was that I would pop them on the site and let the professionals (Err thats you lot!!) have access to them - and also comments.

I dont know which his market is for either. If its DIY its a big reusable item. If its Pro then he is not going to make much money at under a tenner because you only going to buy one pack.

What I might do is pop a sample into each sale of our diamond core drills so the customers get to see. But yes I really cant get excited about the commercial oppertuntity and also I am not totally convinced of the market.

But: Will let you guys decide...... At least its available if anyone does think it worth a punt !!

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I saw these a while back and they seem like a good idea. I think the inventor is unrealistic trying to sell them in packs of 20 for £9.99 a pack. Definitely aiming at the DIY market, but with a crazy price. I just calculated that the bathroom I tiled today with 400 x 200 tiles would have required 150 of these. That's £75! Although I would be interested to try them, I cannot see what possible reason there would be to justify spending 15 times more than conventional spacers. (Oh, and if I recall, the inventor believes that the fact these are "reusable" is a unique selling point. It isn't. Normal spacers are resuable as well, if applied correctly, and removed before the adhesive sets).

p.s. But if you ever stock the Mitre Wizz then I'll DEFINITELY buy one of those. And so will Tony73. He's extremely excited about the Mitre Wizz!

:lol:
:lol::lol:
Thanks Mike for reminding me about MITRE WIZZ. i'll buy a poster of mitre wizz and stick it on my wall in bedroom

M

Mike Mike

Its funny because the jurys out with me too (As a supplier should I be trying a bit harder to flog these???) Nahhh bottom line is its up to you.

For £9.99 you get 50 of them. Its £8.30 + VAT or 20p each and of course they can be reused. I think the inventor was saying they stick out a mile so that you pull them out and you dont need that many to put up a wall.

But all I said to him was that I would pop them on the site and let the professionals (Err thats you lot!!) have access to them - and also comments.

I dont know which his market is for either. If its DIY its a big reusable item. If its Pro then he is not going to make much money at under a tenner because you only going to buy one pack.

What I might do is pop a sample into each sale of our diamond core drills so the customers get to see. But yes I really cant get excited about the commercial oppertuntity and also I am not totally convinced of the market.

But: Will let you guys decide...... At least its available if anyone does think it worth a punt !!

"WHAT YOU TALKIN' 'BOUT WILLIS!"

As already mentioned, the 3 bathroom walls I tiled today would have required 150 of these. I didn't pluck that number out of the air. I actually sat down and drew the tiled walls on an Excel spreadsheet and stuck a little circle in each corner of 4 tiles to count as ONE of these tile spacers. 50 PER WALL! I don't many professional tilers who only tile one wall a day, do you?

I would buy 150 for a tenner, maybe. But not 50. 50 is a DIY qty, and a tenner is over-priced, end of.

p.s. Any update on the availability of the Mitre Wizz yet??

D

Deleted member 1779

I did think 50 seemed a bit low but the inventor recons that 25 is all you really need. So I doubled it to 50 to be on the safe side. Looks like I better be getting back to him with your comments to show him that a real trade pack is needed. Maybe is should be 200 pieces ? to be honest 200 wouldnt take up a huge footprint.

I will pass the comments on. All useful.

M

Mike Mike

I did think 50 seemed a bit low but the inventor recons that 25 is all you really need. So I doubled it to 50 to be on the safe side. Looks like I better be getting back to him with your comments to show him that a real trade pack is needed. Maybe is should be 200 pieces ? to be honest 200 wouldnt take up a huge footprint.

I will pass the comments on. All useful.

Thanks Richard. I tend to remember useless facts, and if my memory's right, then inventor is a surveyor?? And he had a bad tiling job done and invented these thinking they would solve all the world's ills, am I right?

A trade pack of 250 would be good, for a tenner, but as I've never seen them in real life I have no idea how big that would be. Bucket? Dusbtin? Luton van? :lol:

p.s. Seriously now, when are you going to be stocking the Mitre Wizz??

D

Deleted member 1779

Not come across the Mitre Wizz yet... I think the general benefit is that these spacers are supposed to be chunky enough so that they dont get lost during tiling.

The main sellin point being that standard spacers can either slip down the back of tiles if they tile had to be packed out, or left in situ by mistake and grouted over.

Also the point about solving having to fiddle about trying to prise them out of their slots because they are not proud of the tile rather they are flush or recessed.

555781_10150616698707014_617362013_8956587_1658966137_n.jpg

Easy for fat fingers to yank out. Those things seem to make a bit of sense to me (But hey waddo I know) !!

I will chat to him about the price. What footprint would 250 take up? Probably about the size of a shoebox.

Maybe a price of £19.99 for the set would bring the cost down to 8p and be sensible ??

Not my product so cant say anything about pricing but I will speak to the guy and see if he can put a bundle together so that it makes ££ sense !

I think you are right - he is a surveyor. But cant be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to We have just started to stock a new type of tile spacer at 365Drills to see.... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks