Search the forum,

Discuss Waterproof Shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Thx once again, there is obviously more than one way to approach this waterproofing! I wish I had just installed it like the last one , plain old plasterboard no tanking and tubbed adhesive albeit with upstands:) And smallish ceramic tiles
But now I've read about it I feel I should do it properly!

What is difference between adhesive sealant and silicone rubber sealant? Is dow Corning the silicone rubber one, can you let me know an example of the other type?

S

SJPurdy

If you were using Wedi board then they have there own sealant to joint all the boards which is very strong and negates the need to tape over joints.
I do not know if Marmox have something similar.
I have used "the works" to pre seal shower trays to tanked or backer boarded walls, and found it to be good.
For the silicone rubber Mapei do a good range of colours to coordinate with their coloured grouts and I have found these bond very well. For white or clear I recommend the Dow Corning 785. Beware of cheaper silicone rubber sealants as although some may be ok, I have come across some poor ones (don't stick, or don't set very well).
When I have tested various silicone sealants and other sealant adhesives onto a glazed tile and let them set I found the adhesive sealants (I can't remember all the brands I used but the works was one) bonded to the tile beter than the silicone rubber sealants hence why I have choosen to use these for pre-sealing.
Do make sure that the floor is rigid under the tray and that the tray is solidly bedded onto it, and that the marmox wall boards are correctly fitted (stud spacings, noggins, etc etc); otherwise any method of sealing that joint is going to be tested/exceeded.

Reply to Waterproof Shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen