Search the forum,

Discuss Walls or floors first in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

I have always tiled walls first then floor last, even in wet rooms, to save working all over the floor and risking damage, I see a few photos of people doing it the other way round, the final finish shouldn't look any different really, why risk tiling floor first? Unless it's for the wall and floor line up.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If possible I do walls first as you say why risk it, but sometimes not possible, I'm back on a wet room today that I started a couple of weeks ago, no choice but to do floor first, edging tile with skirt tile matching up, running against the main porc tile in half bond, all has to be perfectly centered, architect's house :confused:

J

J Sid

todays job, planks going up wall.
WP_20161114_07_59_54_Rich.jpg always floors first, easier to get joints lined up on walls

O

Old Mod

Don't have a hard and fast rule, I'll adapt as the situation dictates.
Whether it be setting out perrameters or not being able to complete certain areas.
As long as you have your wall and floor datums in place, it shouldn't matter.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If the joints need matching I tend to lay the floor first, protect it, then out the walls up as per Julian, find it easier matching everything this way. If not needing to match the joints I'll put the walls in one tile up of a batten, then floor, then put the bottom cut down onto the floor. No right or wrong in my eyes just different ways of doing things.

D

dave l and l

sometimes in a wetroom i will do walls first , but mostly i will tile walls first then walls, other reason is sometimes other trades see it as a chance to get in and work if the floor is complete,

Reply to Walls or floors first in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen