Search the forum,

Discuss Wall tiles for floor tiles?????? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

maggieb

Hi, I am new here and I was so pleased to find this forum as I am in need of advice.
We are doing up a shed as a studio and where excited when we found some tiles going cheap from a place that was closing down. We purchased 60 m2 of 600x330 white tiles. On arriving home with them and looking at them closely we noticed they are wall tiles, not floor tiles. Then discovered we could not return them.:mad2:
My question is....Can we still use them as floor tiles. They have A grade on the box, no PSI stated. And if we can use them as floor tiles, what adhesive do we use. We are thinking flexi.
Can someone please advise me on what to do. The tiles are glazed with a matt finish.
Cheers, Maggie **yawn**

M

maggieb

If you're "doing up a shed" and it's yours for your own use, I'd use them. But only if it has a solid floor i.e concrete. Only you know how you're going to use the building and how much traffic the floor is likely to have and what sort of thing you'll be getting up to.
By the way, I'm not a tiler!
Thank you for your info...yes the floor is concrete and there wont be a lot of traffic on it. In your opinion would it be best to use a flexi adhesive or a rigid one. We were thinking of the flexi that you mix up.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Think you should listen to the tilers...
Theres a reason why its called a wall tile.....its ment to go on the wall not the floor.
Floor tiles are graded 1to 5 grade 4 and 5 are suitable for most rooms in your house...grade 2 and 3 light traffic areas only ie bathrooms or bedrooms....I doubt your wall tiles are a grade 1 if that....infact I dont even think they grade wall tiles....still its your money so good luck..:thumbsup:

W

WetSaw

Think you should listen to the tilers...
Theres a reason why its called a wall tile.....its ment to go on the wall not the floor.
Floor tiles are graded 1to 5 grade 4 and 5 are suitable for most rooms in your house...grade 2 and 3 light traffic areas only ie bathrooms or bedrooms....I doubt your wall tiles are a grade 1 if that....infact I dont even think they grade wall tiles....still its your money so good luck..:thumbsup:
Absolutely!
But as it's only a shed being done up by the owner for their own use, and they've got the tiles already, I still say it's worth a punt. Certainly wouldn't advocate it normally but I would do the same in my shed if I was in this situation.

M

m3fitter

the adhesive / grout will cost you more than the tiles ! the glaze is too thin, and will wear off, chip... don't waste your time and money, as someone said, if they could be used on the floor, the manufacturer would have advertised it.. your call... also a wall tile biscuit cannot take weight as designed not to be load bearing and the tile will crack under pressure..

T

TJ Smiler

Have to agree with all the other tilers, it's a wall tile, not a floor tile. It may last for a short while but eventually (probably just months) the surface will start wear off and it will chip and crack incredibly easy. If your not bothered about any of that then get em down but i would as someone else said buy some cheap floor grade tiles and put them down, i would then consider insulting the inside of my shed then putting some suitable boarding up then using the cheap wall tiles on them instead.

Purely as an educational thing what is the difference between wall and floor tiles in terms of manufacturing standards...e.g compressive, flexural strengths, surface abrasion resistance, slip resistance etc etc...

All of the above I would say, although the slip resistance bit is not always a priority. Some of the tiles I have fitted to bathroom floors (by request) I would consider to be down right dangerous.

S

Stef

Purely as an educational thing what is the difference between wall and floor tiles in terms of manufacturing standards...e.g compressive, flexural strengths, surface abrasion resistance, slip resistance etc etc...

Some johnsons tiles I have fitted to floors haven't in my eyes been suitable.
Some of their ceramics I would say are only suitable for walls as they have snapped far too easily over my knee.
I'm not too sure about flexular strength or that Alan but you do get a feel for tiles over the years & some I would say aren't suitable for application.

Reply to Wall tiles for floor tiles?????? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement