Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Walk In Shower Not A Wet Room in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

V

visioneset

Just been to a well respected bathroom place with a fairly well formed plan of how to do my bathroom, which I'll be doing myself. The bath/bog/basin I'm happy with but not done a shower before. The space I have is 1400 x 900mm and want a flush base. I wasn't sure whether to do an enclosure or a wet room, though still with some sort of screen. After digesting my plan I was told that with 1400 to play with it can just be a standard 1400 tray, no wet room base and just screened along the long edge as water projected past the tray will be negligible. To say I am skeptical is putting it mildly. Anyway if my skepticism is warranted anyone got any better ideas? Before the visit I was leaning towards a wet room approach. By all means propose a more drastic redesign, but I have agonised over ALL the options, and suit location wise, this is the best. Pic below is basically what has been suggested wrt the shower

Oh and Hi, I'm new, just moved house, boiler done, bathroom next. Extension downstairs soon :)

shower-walkin.jpg

V

visioneset

Well I said ALL options but...
bathroom-rejig.jpg

Be nice to get a tray with upstands on 3 sides but might be getting very fussy!!
Tile the bath on two sides, link into tray.
Everywhere I read, folk say always get a tray with upstands, makes a lot of sense, why wouldn't you.
Opinions?

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Go with the first option, but with an end panel. Then change the other glass at the end of the bath to an 800 with 300 flipper or go for a full enclosure.

V

visioneset

jodone - I did a mockup of that and looks a good solution. However I think I have 2 issues with that overall design.
1. I don't like the interface of bath end and shower panel. Always going to be hard to clean and hard to seal in cleanly for a pro look.
2. Makes the entrance to room hemmed in

The other design has the problem of bath access, bathing kids etc and shower tray next to bath oddness.

So a rethink of that latter design as below. A semi wet room approach. Tanking shower itself and the floor up to bath, or use a larger wetroom tray (ie 1800mm to bath). Lots to learn here!

Is it better to use larger tray and the more extensive recessing, base construction , or tanking across the tray/floor interface as normal. I assume the latter, but why do these larger wet room specific trays exist?

How I configure the glass panels and flipper arrangement, is more or less an afterthought, but something like pictured I think.

Another question, lots of folk say don't do a wet room upstairs on a timber floor. But surely it's more belt and braces than a none tanked shower?! And in this case treating it really as a walk-in shower, less risky.
bathroom-rejig.jpg

V

visioneset

Shower where toilet is? Only have 800mm max on that bit of wall, really wanted more elbow room than that. And corner baths? Urgh! I'm not viewing a 1600mm bath as a compromise, I never have a bath and the wife is 5ft.

J

Just Rizzle

for the size of your bathroom your trying to put too much in .
why don't you put in a bigger bath and have a triple mixer then you freeing up space the toilet looks very tight

V

visioneset

for the size of your bathroom your trying to put too much in .
why don't you put in a bigger bath and have a triple mixer then you freeing up space the toilet looks very tight

You are probably right and it didn't start out that way, but with what we have to work with it made for ugly designs as a bath with a shower has to both fit the bath's size requirements and the shower's 'not soaking a window' requirements, this approach may give more room, but the layouts are not elegant! I don't think it could be a worse space to work with tbh.

e.g... yuk!

bathroom-simple.jpg

nb. small window is easily glass bricked up however

W

WetSaw

Sink where the toilet is in the layout above. Toilet in the original position and a walk in shower where the bath is above. I'd also leave the small window in. However, unless it's a "starter home" I'd always have a bath in the house because even though I never have one it can affect the saleability when the time comes.

Reply to Walk In Shower Not A Wet Room in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks