Search the forum,

Discuss Very Slightly Un-even wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dweeksy

Hi all, I am new to this and a complete virgin tiler. I plan to start soon. I got some good advice down my local topps tiles in Reading and now at least think I am set to start.

My problem is I am laying limestone tiles 10cm thick on bathroom floor and walls. I have spent most of today cleaning them with some kind of cleaner and sealing them all layed out on plywood in my garden, as least it didnt rain!

I have put hardi-backer down on the floor and three of my four walls seem flat with a few old drill holes, the house is about 100 years old.

One wall though was replastered at one point and some of it didnt take properly. I have scraped/ cleaned off al the lose finish and there are a couple of ridges of maybe 1 to 2mm's .

Should I just hardi-back the wall to get it flat or wont this much make a difference??? Putting hardi-back on the wall seems like a difficult job and I am not sure if I can just 'glue' it on using a rapidset tile adhesive or if I should try and screw it on using masonary fixings which I figure will be pretty difficult. With these I am not sure how I would line the holes up.

Cheers for any advice!!!

Cheers!
David

D

DHTiling

welcome to forums dweeksy. regarding the uneven wall which doesnt sound that bad use 6m notched trowel and lightly back butter tiles with adhesive,use single part flexible white as limestone might stain, this method will give you a solid bed of adhesive, advisable when wall tiling in b/rooms etc.

G

GazTech

welcome to forums dweeksy. regarding the uneven wall which doesnt sound that bad use 6m notched trowel and lightly back butter tiles with adhesive,use single part flexible white as limestone might stain, this method will give you a solid bed of adhesive, advisable when wall tiling in b/rooms etc.
I agree with Dave ,solid bed is advisable for all tiling and welcome to forum dweeksy:)

T

tilinga2z

Yes, good advice boys, but do you really mean 10 cm thick???, if so fix em well!!!

B

brian c

obviously its 10mm thick tile kos walls will fall down if you put 10cm tiles up.(said in a good spirit not as a dig):)

Reply to Very Slightly Un-even wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen