Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating - Tile marks - Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kohini

Hi all

I am a newbie..

Last summer we had wet underfloor heating installed in our extension. In the last couple of months I have noticed grey marks appearing on the cream porcelain tiles where the underfloor heating is. They are a series of parallel lines (straight and curved lines)

This was covered with concrete and a layer of porcelain tiles. The tiler at the time assured that the correct adhesive was used.

Does anyone know what could cause this or has seen this before? I am guessing it is the heating of the adhesive, and the patterned parrellel line could be the way the adhesive was applied with the semaring tool?? Will this get any worse?

I have attached a couple of photos, one of the tile marks (should see some faint horizontal lines) and another of the underfloor heating pipe layout prior to concrete)

Any advice greatly appreciated

Attachments

• DSC01807.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00820.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 54

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
How long has it been down? There still could be moisture in the floor.

The temperature should be far to low to cause colour changes as the temperature changes. I'm pretty sure your porcelain floor would need thousands of degrees before that turned a different colour.

Does the colour turn back when it's off?
How long has it been down?
If you leave it on do the 'lines' appear to get bigger? (Suggesting it might be moisture coming out of the floor perhaps?)

F

Fred

Thats really odd I reckon. Could it be that the type of tile used conducts the heat in such a way it shows though it?

K

kohini

Thansk for the speedy reply!

Just attached another photo from further back...

I will have to do further testing with the heating on/off and feedback to you. The floor has been down since July 2008.

Don't know about the moisture under the floor, the rood of the extension was built before the heating was laid and tiled so don't think it was laid whilst wet.

Attachments

• DSC01813.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 86
D

DHTiling

As i thought .......that is adhesive shadowing through the tiles....insufficent coverage on the back of the tiles and thats why you can see the ribbed effect you have....

If the tiles had been back skimmed and a better coverage on the floor then that would not show....looks like grey adhesive as well as the marks have bled into the tiles...

Needs to be a re-call to the tiler..

W

White Room

That was my thought on this one but never actually heard of it on porcelain:yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kohini

So do you mean the tiler was supposed to put adhesive on the back of the tiles as well as the floor? Does this mean that when the adhesive runs, it will run evenly?

What colour should the adhesive be? Will other colours not run?

I take it we would need to get the same tiles (and batch) which is going to be difficult.

Thanks again for the advice

Reply to Underfloor heating - Tile marks - Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen