Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating screed too thin? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dicky Heart

Hello, my first post proper. I have a large extension to tile. The floorscreed has been poured over the wet underfloor heating loops, and has set nicely. My problem is that the finished screed level is just under 40mm lower than it should have been. I now have a choice of either somehow adding to the screed level, or lowering the adjacent timber floors, so avaoinding any excessive steps. The screed as poured is about 65mm thick at the moment. Is there a recognised way or raising the screed level without risking cracking and affecting the efficiency of the underfloor heating? Or is lowering the timber a better suggestion. Tiles will be 10mm porcelain, already bought and paid for, so I can't use a thicker alternative. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks, DH

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd lower the timber else you'll end up with a fair slab to heat. Having said that, your tiles and adhesive will be 15-20mm if the remaining 40mm. So perhaps not too bad.

Let the professional have a say they'll sort you out.

D

Dicky Heart

Thanks for the replies. I think I'l take out the bricks the joists are sitting on and then pack up with slate, probably 20mm overall. Hopefully, the tops of the floorboards (which will be carpeted) will then be level with the top of the tiles.

W

White Room

You say the screed is poured, which one is it....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

D

Dicky Heart

Things have moved on a little. I have established the screed is a GYVLON screed, i think by Lafarge. We're inclined to forget lowering the timber floors to meet the poured screed, as there's just too much work with this, and are leaning towards pouring another 35 screed on top of the existing 65. The contactor who originally poured the first screed and Lafarge say that this is possible, but give different suggestions on how to do it. The first screed has been down four weeks, and there's no heating yet.

One says to thoroughly wet the first screed and pour the next directly on top, the other says to put another layer of visqueen down and then pour the new 35mm layer. Both say that the underfloor heating will still work, it'll just take longer to heat up.

Decisions decisions...which way do we go?

Cheers,

DH

D

Dicky Heart

Thanks Dan.

I still have a few concerns after speaking to two different lafarge reps. One is saying use a visqueen, the other says don't.

Anyway, I have a few more questions if I may?

1. Is a floor screed of (what will be) 115mm too thick to enable the underfloor heating to work efficiently, or will it just be that the warm up and cool down times will be longer?

2. Once the underfloor heating is working, how much quicker will the screed dry out to allow the floor to be tiled? At 1mm per day for the first 40, then 1/2mm per day after that, it could be another 4 months before the kitchen could be fitted.

In the meantime I'm now looking at using stone flags instead to make up the difference, so if anyone knows of a good supplier in North Yorkshire for 55 square meters please let me know.

My only other option is timber flooring. Now this may sound like a wacky idea, but I have some 600 square plastic grids that lock together and are used for car parks. They are laid on a sub base, locked together then filled with gravel. The depth of these grids is exactly 50mm, just what I need to make up. If I covered the existing screed with this grid (it is made up of 50mm squares) and then fixed an underlay and put engineered timber on top, would the underfloor heating still heat the room, or would all the air pockets act as insulation and stop the room heating up?

Thanks for all your help!

DH

M

Mark S

Dickie,
just caught up on the thread from the last couple of weeks.
As the original screed is 65mm, which ideally is 10mm thicker than we would normally recommend adding extra screed thickness, which you may have to, to make up the height, will slow the heating performance down.
By adding timber panels (timber being a poor conductor of heat) will also have the effect of reducing the effectivness of the heating system.
If do add screed do not put a Viqueen type membrane down, but dry the original screed, prime the surface then apply the extra screed, There is no easy solution, but it can be done.
Mark S

Reply to Underfloor heating screed too thin? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen