Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Michelle M

Hi. I'm having a new bathroom and kitchen fitted in December. I like the idea of underfloor heating although I already have a good gas central heating system, so therefore do I really need underfloor heating? My kitchen is 22sq meters so quite large, but my bathroom is small. I'm having them tiled so worried the floors maybe cold. My bathroom fitter said that the heat they give off is rubbish and expensive to run so wouldn't recommend it. Any advice appreciated as I'm now confused. (I haven't approached the kitchen fitter yet about this as had been put off ). Thanks Michelle

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi. I'm having a new bathroom and kitchen fitted in December. I like the idea of underfloor heating although I already have a good gas central heating system, so therefore do I really need underfloor heating? My kitchen is 22sq meters so quite large, but my bathroom is small. I'm having them tiled so worried the floors maybe cold. My bathroom fitter said that the heat they give off is rubbish and expensive to run so wouldn't recommend it. Any advice appreciated as I'm now confused. (I haven't approached the kitchen fitter yet about this as had been put off ). Thanks Michelle

the heat they give off depends entirely on the output versus the heat loss from the room. They are expensive to run if they are not designed properly. e.g. if your heat output from the heating syste is 100 watts per square meter and the heat loss from your room is 150 w/m2 then your system will be inefficient. I would suggest respectfully that either your bathroom fitter does not know what he is talking about or he has been instaling his systems wrong. the key to success is to reduce your heat losses to a minimum so as much insulation as possible. heat loss calculations are not too difficult to do and any reputable supplier will ba able to assist you with this bit. dont just buy heat mats from b&q, get a pro to do it for you.

M

Michelle M

Thank you!! I think my bathroom fitter probably just doesn't want to fit it?? He also tried to advise me against having tiles on my bathroom floor?? So I think he's bringing personal preferences into it.
Where would you recommend buying it from? I'm asuming the quality at b&q isn't as good then as proper underfloor places.
Also as for buying the tiles.....would you say topps tiles would be the best place to go?
Thanks again
Michelle

T

Time's Ran Out

There are costs involved in the installation and running of electric underfloor heating but IMHO definitely worthwhile for the comfort of the room involved.
I'd never try to sell UFH but I always offer its installation at the estimate stage of a contract to make sure the customer is fully aware of it's benefits.
Imagine being able to walk bare feet in your kitchen in January and with the higher output systems they often have primary source features.

U

Uheat - Keith

Good advice from all the guys above.
If you can send the plans over to us, we can then prepare a quotation for you.

Warm regards,

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Most bathroom floors are timber that is overboarded with ply or preferably cement board and then tiled.
The tiled floor is never going to get uncomfortably cold, even in the middle of winter.

Concrete floors in a kitchen or conservatory - now they can get freezing cold underfoot in winter.

E

enduro

laid a 75sqm limestone floor. Used UHEAT for insulation boards, and warm floor heating as it was not the primary heating in customers house. Customer was unsure whether he needed it but once i got the price for materials from UHEAT he decided to go ahead. Had to go to see customer last night and he had the underfloor heating on and he is well impressed with it. So am i. :thumbsup:

M

micko

I fitted it in my kitchen and conservatory around 10 years ago. It was one of the best decisions I have made. Not noticeably any more expensive to run than my old radiators.
I would highly recommend it. I would also recommend U Heat.

Reply to Underfloor heating or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen