Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss underfloor heating mat in self levelling compound in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Matt123

I am about to have a go at doing one in my utillity room

I have got a brand new screeded floor 3M x 3M

I have channelled in the flexible conduit for the sensor

I am going to hot glue the mat down

would you recomend mixing the self leveling in one go (25kg bag)
or in 2 or 3 or 4 mixes the bag says it will be workable for 15 to 20 minutes is this enough time to do the floor ?

Matt

M

Matt123

Dont say that

I was about to do it tonight then tile tomorrow :thumbsdown:

so if it isnt ! can i top it up tomorrow

Matt

O

Olz

I dont think one will be enough either, id take a stab at you needing three, any advances....

M

Matt123

My heat mat is 4mm thick and the coverage on the bag said 5mm thick would cover 3M square

thats why i got just the one bag I suppose it will have to be done tomorrow now

Matt

D

dagger

im with oli, 1 bag is no way enough 2 maybe and the third is just in case it dont make it!

if you run out and dont do it in 1 hit you will end up with 2 levels and have to cover the whole thing again! not good

and i am assuming the subfloor is flat and level in the first place!!!

besides you can always take unused bags back right?

ooops for some reason i thought 3m2, just noticed its 9m2 now we are in 4/5 territory!!

i see you three oli and raise you two!!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

My heat mat is 4mm thick and the coverage on the bag said 5mm thick would cover 3M square

thats why i got just the one bag I suppose it will have to be done tomorrow now

Matt

1bag = 3sq mts
3bags = 9sq mts
My supplier have a policy of non refund on adhesives, grouts and self levellers as the storage conditions cannot be guaranteed.
Wait till you've gorit all and mix a bag at a time - if you've got a paddle mixer.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

D

dagger

on a general avarage i get 1.5/2m2 per 25kg bag over underfloor heating,
but sometimes i have leveled the screed to get it flat and level before laying the heatmat.

you want the minimum amount of self level to cover the wire, if you bury it too deeply it will be much less efficient and cost you more money in the end.

but thats just me!

G

Gazzer

And watchout for the mat floating to the surface. try priming the floor before laying the mat to help the self adhesive strips on the mat (if you have that type) stick.

D

dagger

1bag = 3sq mts
3bags = 9sq mts
My supplier have a policy of non refund on adhesives, grouts and self levellers as the storage conditions cannot be guaranteed.
Wait till you've gorit all and mix a bag at a time - if you've got a paddle mixer.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.
that is a bit harsh of your supplier john, you would proberbly return it the next day or even the same day as it wont take long to pour it!

and yes a paddle mixer is essential, 1 bag at a time and pour, if it dont make it another bag and pour etc.

M

Matt123

And watchout for the mat floating to the surface. try priming the floor before laying the mat to help the self adhesive strips on the mat (if you have that type) stick.

Hi
The mat is glued down flat to brand new screeded floor gotta go back to jewsons then in the morning to get more bags

Matt

Reply to underfloor heating mat in self levelling compound in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks