Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Heating Causing Marks On Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

yogi19

Hi,

I recently laid underfloor warm up style matt heating. Half is an old floor taken back to concrete. And half was a new screed laid a few months prior (according to customer) The floor was primed with the primer that was issued with the heating. The floor was then covered in flexible latex once dried ceramic tiles were laid with flexible adhesive. So a few weeks after finishing the floor I receive a call from the customer saying something is wrong with the tiles. So I received the pics and the tiles have started to discolour. The discolouring had only started when he turnt his underfloor heating on which was a few weeks after being tiled. Has anyone experienced this or know of anyone who has. I also rang the company who provided the tiles they said that the tiles were suitable for underfloor heating. Her answer was that quick I was surprised she even knew what tile I was talking about. Any advice. Much appreciated.

IMG-20160217-WA0024.jpg

Y

yogi19

The matting was laid on top of a concrete screed that the builder had laid a few months earlier. As well as on the other side of the kitchen

T

Tile Shop

Is that a fairly recent extension? We have a similar issue in our conservatory, which the damp proofing ain't great. So rising damp maybe? Our porcelain tiles are fine but moisture easily comes through the grout in soggy weather conditions. But a ceramic would soak it up and show water marks.

Just a possible theory.

W

White Room

The fact that the builder done part of the job so you didn't have a visual of the screed....

Y

yogi19

Yea I mean he did say the screed had been down 2-3 months before I tiled on it and he left the ufh off for another 3 weeks after tiling.....

Y

yogi19

The marks have only come on he tile on the sie where he new screed is and not the old part of he kitchen. Which Did make me think that the screed wasn't set and moisture is still there. But surely I'm not he first person to have had this problem??

Y

yogi19

Yea the builder definatley damp proofed it. So if they are water marks would they stay stained or dissappear over time......... I forgot to mention that the house has had no heating at all since the day the ufh went on.

Reply to Underfloor Heating Causing Marks On Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen