Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Underfloor heating and then Tiling on top in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Shylo

Im due to start tiling a Conservertary (4x4) 2moro and im gonna try and lay the tiles (Slate) on top on the underfloor heating.

Do i put a 10mm bed of Adhesive of top of the underfloor heating 1st???????? and i also put it on back of the tiles as well so it will be 20 mm thick

plz help asap

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

You will be better off skimming with SLC. Try using Mapei Fiberplan. This will give you a great surface to tile onto.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above.

Always easier self levelling first.

Then use a flexi adhesive and grout.

If not.......you could use PTB flexi

S

sWe

I always cover UFH with SLC, for five reasons:

It protects the UFH when you put down the tiles.
It's easier to tile when the UFH is already covered.
You don't risk damaging the UFH when tiling.
The risk of damaging the UFH if replacing tiles, or retiling later on, is significatly smaller.
And finally, the heat is distributed better.

I'd recommend covering the UFH with no less than the thickness of the wires/tubes +10mm, preferably +20mm. Too little and you still risk damaing the UFH if/when replacing tiles or retiling, and the heat isn't distributed as well as it could be.

S

Shylo

I always cover UFH with SLC, for five reasons:

It protects the UFH when you put down the tiles.
It's easier to tile when the UFH is already covered.
You don't risk damaging the UFH when tiling.
The risk of damaging the UFH if replacing tiles, or retiling later on, is significatly smaller.
And finally, the heat is distributed better.

I'd recommend covering the UFH with no less than the thickness of the wires/tubes +10mm, preferably +20mm. Too little and you still risk damaing the UFH if/when replacing tiles or retiling, and the heat isn't distributed as well as it could be.

So wat you are sayin is ..........use the SLC then lay the UFH on top of it??????

G

grumpygrouter

So wat you are sayin is ..........use the SLC then lay the UFH on top of it??????
No, lay your heat mats and then skim over the top with the SLC. When dry, tile on top of your nice smooth surface.

S

sWe

Nope, the other way around. Lay the UFH first, then cover it with SLC. if the wires are 5mm thick, I'd recommend pouring atleast a total of 15mm, to get a 10mm cover.

W

White Room

Make sure the wires are not loose and are not going to lift when you pour the slc

D

doug boardley

You will be better off skimming with SLC. Try using Mapei Fiberplan. This will give you a great surface to tile onto.
should this only be used as part of a calorie controlled balanced diet?:grinningelf:
excellent advice from the upper echelons!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sWe

should this only be used as part of a calorie controlled balanced diet?:grinningelf:
excellent advice from the upper echelons!

Well, you'd have to get some older SLC for the protein then, because this one is protein free!

(I'll be well impressed if you get that joke without scrolling down and reading the explanation :thumbsup:)

The protein "Casein", which makes up something like 80% of the protein content in milk, has been used as an additive in different kinds of mortar and adhesives for many many years, but it's becoming less and less common in the building materials industry because it's biological, and a target for bacteria and mold.

D

doug boardley

Well, you'd have to get some older SLC for the protein then, because this one is protein free!

(I'll be well impressed if you get that joke without scrolling down and reading the explanation :thumbsup:)

The protein "Casein", which makes up something like 80% of the protein content in milk, has been used as an additive in different kinds of mortar and adhesives for many many years, but it's becoming less and less common in the building materials industry because it's biological, and a target for bacteria and mold.

b****y speechless!!!! enough said haha

S

Sully

Has any of you guys heard of the following method?

Insulated screed
Depron Insulation
Haeting Element
Vapor Barrier
WPB Ply
Tiles

I don't like the sound of the ply over this and certainly not with tiles. This spec has been given to me and I'm not too comfortable fixing 18mm 600x300 Limestone slabs onto this.

I would have levelled the cables with slc and tiled from there

Any thoughts?
Andrew

D

DHTiling

Any thoughts....deffo asking for a failure there....also how are they going to fix the ply over the heating element...?....and why a vapour barrier..?

S

Sully

Any thoughts....deffo asking for a failure there....also how are they going to fix the ply over the heating element...?....and why a vapour barrier..?

These are my thoughts too but this spec is being recommended by what looks like a reputable company and before I start pulling shreds out of it, just wanted some second opinions.

Reply to Underfloor heating and then Tiling on top in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks