Search the forum,

Discuss trend worktop jig in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike

does anyone know where i can get my jig repaired at a reasonable price? i've notched it with my router and trend want nearly a £100 to repair it. sorry for posting here but i cant find anywere for it. i been on the contractor forum but it dont look like many people go on there, and i know there's some kitchen fitters amongst us. thanks:thumbsup:

S

Scott

Get some car body filler Mike, i think its the Davids isopon one my mate uses on the ones he borrows and screws up every time :yikes:

He borrowed mine it the summer and caught it, i havent even seen it to inspect the damage!

M

Mike

it may be worth me trying that. hundred quid is too steep. bloody router was switched on as i was preparing first cut and my helper plugged it in and off it went :mad2:

C

Colour Republic

A mate did that to my old jig. Similar thing, his router didn't have an electric brake and he pulled the router out before it had stopped spinning.

Repaired it with car body filler and it was fine. I did go a bit loopy at the time but in all honesty once filled it was as good as new.

In most circumstances car body filler is harder than most types of timber you would fill so you run the risk of damaging surrounding areas when sanding, but jigs are fairly hard so the filler sands down easier than the surround good edges of the jig, so you can get it nice a straight again.

I would suggest getting a pack of filling blades rather than use a filling knife, these are much more flexible so you have a greater deal of control when filling small areas. Less excess filler, less chance of causing more damage when sanding back.

You can get a set of filling blades for about £2 or the posh ones (wooden handle) are about £6

Filling Blades - UK

M

Mike

it's a trend router too, as you probably know, it has a on/off switch and no trigger. my old makita router had a trigger and i never had this problem. i need to get in the habit of checking its in the off mode before plugging in. lucky i wasn't changing the cutter as it was plugged in! thanks a lot for that by the way c.r. :thumbsup:

M

Mike

i guess its designed like that for a smooth consistent cut . i'd still prefer a trigger tho:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

My Dewalt has a flick switch just by the handles and it's funny as today I got it out the box, plugged it in and it was in the on postion:yikes: Which is the first time i've ever done that.

My heart sank as I raced across the room to pull it off my jig, one of the guys was wetting himself at the look of my face. Then asked why the hell didn't I just unplug it instead of running across the room:mad2: In the panic all I cared about was the jig so I run to its rescue, although I was lucky as I never have it plunged unless i'm holding it.

In fact this is me today:lol:

router.jpg

S

Scott

Them clamps any good? I never trusted used them as they always look a bit on the weak side?

Im amazed at how many companies do really bad joins in work surfaces. I think its one of the most important parts fo the whole job, that and nice tight mitres on the cornice/pelmet. I guess thats just from working in finishing trades for too long

S

SandyFloor

Them clamps any good? I never trusted used them as they always look a bit on the weak side?

Im amazed at how many companies do really bad joins in work surfaces. I think its one of the most important parts fo the whole job, that and nice tight mitres on the cornice/pelmet. I guess thats just from working in finishing trades for too long

I work in a lot of new kitchens and that's exactly how I initially judge how good the fitter is. If those are good then the rest of the kitchen probably is.

Reply to trend worktop jig in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen