Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine internal corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ohhnoo

I recently tiled my bathroom with 610mm x 405mm travertine and wondered if I should have used silicone on the internal wall corners. I used ivory silicone where the floor meets the walls but as the grout is flexible I thought it would be ok for the wall corners. Theres no cracking or anything just wanted to check as I've read a few posts about expansion etc. Three walls are brick with moisture resistant pb and the other is a stud wall.

D

diamondtiling

You should have left a 3mm gap in the internal corners and applied silicone for expansion purposes.

:thumbsup:

S

Scott

If they are in a wet area you can rake out the grout and silicone it. If its a dry area then if and when it cracks you could just regrout it

D

DHTiling

I recently tiled my bathroom with 610mm x 405mm travertine and wondered if I should have used silicone on the internal wall corners. I used ivory silicone where the floor meets the walls but as the grout is flexible I thought it would be ok for the wall corners. Theres no cracking or anything just wanted to check as I've read a few posts about expansion etc. Three walls are brick with moisture resistant pb and the other is a stud wall.

Hi and morning..

Internal corners are expansion and contraction joints, small amounts of either can put stress into an internal joint and thus should have some degree of flexibility, that is where a silicone joint comes in ,as it will compress with expansion and stretch with contraction of the walls substrate..

Some manufacturers having silicones that match the grout colours, Mapei are one of them and their silicones are acetate free and ok for stone work.

P

peckers

If they are in a wet area you can rake out the grout and silicone it. If its a dry area then if and when it cracks you could just regrout it
As the walls are of differen't constructions then different rates off expansion are going to happen imo then you should leave expansion joints in the internall corners weather it be wet or dry areas, and grout weather flexible or not does not allow for this.
silicone joints do if a gap has been allowed for in the internal corners:thumbsup::thumbsup:

O

ohhnoo

:oops:Looks like I've got some raking out to do then, already got some ivory silicone. Thanks for the replies:thumbsup:.

Reply to Travertine internal corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen