Discuss Too much water added to the grout? I have a bucket next to me.. hmm. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Hars

I have BAL grey SPF and followed the instructions of 5 parts powder to 1 part water.

3.5/5 = 0.7l water. I literally measured out 0.7 litres of water and put it in the bucket, mixed it up but it seems really wet and runny.

it doesnt stick to the end of the trowel and looks kinda like a milkshake.

Unsure of whether to use it or not? Can I let it sit for 10 mins and then use it or just scrap it and go buy another bag.

Thanks...

G

Gazzer

Sorry mate but you woulld be better adding more powder but i feel you dont have any more. So you will need another bag. Try less water this time.

S

sWe

I have BAL grey SPF and followed the instructions of 5 parts powder to 1 part water.

3.5/5 = 0.7l water. I literally measured out 0.7 litres of water and put it in the bucket, mixed it up but it seems really wet and runny.

it doesnt stick to the end of the trowel and looks kinda like a milkshake.

Unsure of whether to use it or not? Can I let it sit for 10 mins and then use it or just scrap it and go buy another bag.

Thanks...

You did the right thing to measure up the water, but it's normally a good thing to add about half of it first, mix, and then add a little as you go. The thing is, that while 1 part water to five parts powder may be the correct mix when dealing with 15-20kg, it may be too much when mixing small amounts, mostly because the amount of powder in the bag may not be exactly 3.5kg (it may be 3.4kg for example), and the measured amount of water may be a bit off too.
There may also be slight variations in the quality of the powder compared to the sample the manufacturer based the mixing instructions on.

The rule of thumb is, that the greater the amount, the smaller the margin of error, and the smaller the amount, the greater the margin of error.

Always put 1/2 to 2/3 of the water in first, then the powder, and mix to a homogenous consistency, and then add more water. Always keep a couple of handfuls of powder in case you accidentaly add too much water. Know that it's preferable to add more water to adding more powder, because adding powder may cause lumps and poor homogeneousness.

And yes, it's best if you buy another bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sWe

When dealing with such small amounts of grout, even a tablespoon of water can make "just right" grout go "too wet".

H

Hars

Always put 1/2 to 2/3 of the water in first, then the powder, and mix to a homogenous consistency, and then add more water.

Thanks guys. I just got back from topps with another bag (the guy gave me the bag at trade price which was nice). Hate wasting money but I best get it right the first time.

I did think of adding 350ml of water and then slowly adding powder but on the bag it says don't add water to the mix as it will effect the strength? I then measured out 700ml VERY carefully with a measuring jug from the kitchen as I wanted to get it right. I'm actually a bit peeved that it's turned out SO runny it's pourable, by following the instructions.

Oh well, I will do as you suggested and put in half the water and slowly add the powder and then water to see how I get on.

This forum is awesome, thanks again!

H

Hars

When dealing with such small amounts of grout, even a tablespoon of water can make "just right" grout go "too wet".

Hmm if the margin for error is so small perhaps my measuring jug is off. Thanks for posting this, I didnt realise it was that finicky!

S

sWe

I did think of adding 350ml of water and then slowly adding powder but on the bag it says don't add water to the mix as it will effect the strength?

That's correct, but it refers to when the grout/adhesive has started to go off in the bucket, not when doing the initial mixing. After you've mixed the grout/adhesive, let it mature for 3-5 minutes. It tends to stiffen a bit after around 5 minutes. Don't add more water then; just give it a quick stirr with the mixer and it'll revert to the consistency it had just after you'd finished mixing it, and it'll stay like that for most of its bucketlife. If it goes "stiffish" within the product bucketlife, you can just give it another quick stirr or two. It'd say it's generally ok to adjust the water/powder content of the mix within 10 minutes after the initial mixing. That may vary though, especially if it's rapidset.
Don't use products which have passed their bucketlife, because that's inviting trouble.

Hmm if the margin for error is so small perhaps my measuring jug is off. Thanks for posting this, I didnt realise it was that finicky!

Mixing large amounts is easier than mixing small amounts, which is a bit of a dark art at times :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hars

That's correct, but it refers to when the grout/adhesive has started to go off in the bucket, not when doing the initial mixing. After you've mixed the grout/adhesive, let it mature for 3-5 minutes. It tends to stiffen a bit after around 5 minutes. Don't add more water then; just give it a quick stirr with the mixer and it'll revert to the consistency it had just after you'd finished mixing it, and it'll stay like that for most of its bucketlife. If it goes "stiffish" within the product bucketlife, you can just give it another quick stirr or two. It'd say it's generally ok to adjust the water/powder content of the mix within 10 minutes after the initial mixing. That may vary though, especially if it's rapidset.
Don't use products which have passed their bucketlife, because that's inviting trouble.

Mixing large amounts is easier than mixing small amounts, which is a bit of a dark art at times :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice! Second time worked a charm. Now to just get that pesky grey haze off the black tiles! :)

I washed it down twice but it seems to be sticking around. Am I right in thinking I can let it dry for a couple of days and then buff it off with a soft cloth? It's on black ceramic tiles.

Got the walls tiles and the floor grouted. Looks pretty good! A little irregularities here and there but I'm pretty stoked.

There must be something wrong with me, spent all saturday and night tiling whilst my mates were out drinking! :lol:

S

Smithy153

Yeah let the tiles dry and buff up with a dry cloth and make them shine. Then stand back and admire your handy work :smilewinkgrin:

H

Hars

Yeah let the tiles dry and buff up with a dry cloth and make them shine. Then stand back and admire your handy work :smilewinkgrin:

Ha! Or lack thereof!

Will post pics when it's finished so you can all have a laugh. Have to let the wall dry overnight and I'll hit the grouting tomorrow evening. :yikes:

Reply to Too much water added to the grout? I have a bucket next to me.. hmm. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay