Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet stuck!! How do you get those floors screws out? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kiwipom

Trying to remove the toilet to tile underneath but cannot get those flippin' screws out that attch toilet bowl to floor. I hear they get corroded into concrete pretty quickly. We want to re use the tioilet bowl so smashing it is not really the option. We've tried drilling them out with a steel drill bit but it is not really working. Any ideas please?!

F

frogeye

I would have said wd40 then try to tighten first - works on my classic car, but as you have gone past that stage - can you slip a hacksaw blade under the pan? or failing that keep drilling with slightly bigger drills then try to screw out whats left. Would a stud remover fit or one of those jml screw removers? Depends on clearance I guess
Take care though - one turn too many and it will crack - as I found to my cost
best of luck - let us know how you get on

frogeye

G

Gazzer

they should drill out ok as long as you are using a good HSS drill bit. If not then you may be lucky enough to slide a hacksaw blade under the pan and cut through the screws. Last resort would be to chip the concrete away next to the pan to release the screws, it shouldnt make that much damage to the floor and the concrete could be made good with rapid set tile adhesive.

B

bigdaz

only thing I can think of is to try and drill out with a very small bit eg 1 or 2 mm once you have that guide hole then use progressively bigger bits

F

frogeye

Just a thought

If you have already drilled the heads off the screws - and if you are in a position to disconnect the toilet from the outlet and remove the cistern - as a last resort - a bit of gentle brute force lifting the pan up wards. The tolerance on the holes in cisterns is pretty wide and with luck it might pull off the remains of the screws?
As I said a last resort solution if you have tried all the others posted

frogeye

K

kiwipom

Ok, managed to get it out with the hacksaw method! presume we just put new screws in over the top of what is left of old ones when it comes to putting toilet back? Is that possible?
Thankyou all for your input!

D

DHTiling

If in the future anybody has this problem again then the simplest way is to use a set of screw extractors......cheap to buy and very effective.....about a fiver a set.

Screw Extractor Set

http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/spacer.gif​

5 Piece Set. For removing broken screws and bolts.
5 extractors: 4-11mm.
http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/cat/99/p1410699_l.jpg

R

Raja

wot i do is an unorthadox method like every thing else is plenty of lube :lol:

then move the toilet around a bit til it is a little loose then try and pull em with a screwdriver underneath our or hacksaw em if i got enough movement as a last resort

They r a bugger so bear with it

Reply to Toilet stuck!! How do you get those floors screws out? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen