Search the forum,

Discuss Tling over old tile adhesive in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Sometimes you can read something here and see it as one way or another, Thats the trouble with text.
As for 6mm ply, its wrong , completely wrong but sometimes clients dont want to hear that....." The man in the tile shop/Diy store said it was ok " What does the tiler know over a member of sales staff/Builder/plumber/next doors dog etc ??? I could go on :mad2:

S

Stef

If I could just put my two penny worth in here, I wonder how many people on this forum know who Deano is?

I don't want to embarrass Dean, but I feel he is not receiving the respect he deserves, the respect he has earned over many years in this industry.

Dean is a time served tiler (a master craftsman) imo, he was a lecturer at south Birmingham College for seven years.

He is currently a consultant for City & Guilds criteria. At the same time being a very sought after tiler running his own business.

This guy is the real deal, having won jotm comp, and joty title, I would never argue with Dean.

I respect him as a great tiler and a all round good guy, so I think unless you can match Dean's qualifications, I would be tempted to keep quiet until you feel you may know more about tiling than he does. Just want to set the record straight.

We can all be tiling superstars on forums, think about it.

& here I thought Dean had learned off of a weeks training course & was just starting out!!

afright

TF
Reaction score
sometimes you can read something here and see it as one way or another, thats the trouble with text.
As for 6mm ply, its wrong , completely wrong but sometimes clients dont want to hear that....." the man in the tile shop/diy store said it was ok " what does the tiler know over a member of sales staff/builder/plumber/next doors dog etc ??? I could go on :mad2:

hear,hear !

W

White Room

Sometimes you can read something here and see it as one way or another, Thats the trouble with text.
As for 6mm ply, its wrong , completely wrong but sometimes clients dont want to hear that....." The man in the tile shop/Diy store said it was ok " What does the tiler know over a member of sales staff/Builder/plumber/next doors dog etc ??? I could go on :mad2:

Times I've had argue my case against advise from a spotty oik working a diy centre....

R

rich hand

Ok, rather than answer all new comments I will try and answer all here. The main reasons that the customer is happy to go with the existing floor at present:

BAL have stated that the adhesive can be used direct on floor board so therefore it is possible we can get away with 6mm ply if the old adhesive was the problem. (the customer does know I have advised to replace with 150mm ply to be safe).

The ply that is down does seem solid, screwed all over with no deflection. Any flexibility does appear to be in the joists.

The job is being done as a favor so costing them very little. They would prefer this right now and then happier to remove the bathroom suite next year.

I will certainly report back whether the Fastflex worked on this situation and thanks for the help!

T

The D

And I suppose 2+2=5 why do you have to take the suite outcan you not just cut the ply and remove it from the main floor then replacewith 6mm tile backer boards you seem to be making this harder than it is. You askedfor true” practical experience on this matter.” And you have had it but youstill will not do it correctly so hear is the advice you want just tile on tothe old adhesive its ok you do not need to take it up and the 6mm ply will befine. Happy now ???????????????

Reaction score
Thanks to Dan for highlighting this post in his newsletter... its certainly a decent thread.

What I don't get is "Why post on here for advice if you are not prepared to accept the advice you are given?" I have seen that repeatedly in this forum. Dean and some of the other experts are blunt but frankly if they post advice I would accept it even if I did not entirely agree with it or want to comply with their advice.

My (limited) experience is that when they say its best to do something in a certain way I eventually discover (through my own work) that they are right. If you don't follow their advice the risk is all yours.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Ok, rather than answer all new comments I will try and answer all here. The main reasons that the customer is happy to go with the existing floor at present:

BAL have stated that the adhesive can be used direct on floor board so therefore it is possible we can get away with 6mm ply if the old adhesive was the problem. (the customer does know I have advised to replace with 150mm ply to be safe).

The ply that is down does seem solid, screwed all over with no deflection. Any flexibility does appear to be in the joists.

The job is being done as a favor so costing them very little. They would prefer this right now and then happier to remove the bathroom suite next year.

I will certainly report back whether the Fastflex worked on this situation and thanks for the help!

150 mm ply ? wow that's pretty thick ply,that will take some cutting.

Reply to Tling over old tile adhesive in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen