Search the forum,

Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

tough one goatboy, tempted to say "when it's dry lol" but that's not an answer. If you have access to a dehumidifier, stick that in the room (make sure doors and windows are closed) for 4 or 5 days.

G

goatboy

and without a dehumidifier? just havnt got one and i remember at our last rented place the owner did that when he rendered the bathroom and it caused the render to crack as it was drying too fast :S

D

doug boardley

are you sure it was a dehumidifier? a heater will crack fresh render, (fan or convection), a dh can be hired from HSS or a plant hire depot local to you:thumbsup:

G

goatboy

yes can leave it for as long as it takes but was wondering how long it takes because with render then plaster on top it takes near to a month+ was wondering if it would be quicker with just a cement render.. and basically you can use a dehumidifier but it cant be in close proximity to the plaster.. same with a heater.. in a room that is 1m x 2m that is near impossible... if you put a heater or dehumidifier next to a wall and that bit dried out faster than the rest then it would cause it to crack.. also wondering if the cement render should have any lime in it to perhaps stop any cracking or is that me just going ott?

D

doug boardley

I'd use a rendering sand mixed 4.5:1 with cement, rather than using lime, I'd use cementone waterproofer as a plasticiser:thumbsup:(no skimming, tile straight onto render)

G

goatboy

ok well its definatly not comming off the wall as i said earlier its going to be having a mesh backing bolted to the wall for it to adhere to.. just hoping that is enough not to have to blast the paint off that is behind it.. will be grinding out some of the mortar between the bricks to give it an even better key... only want to be doing this the once lol

J

jay

the renderer should put a dash coat on first to provide a key for the render at least 95% of the paint should be removed and depending on how thick it needs to be let the render dry slowly some old bricks suck the guts out of render and you need to wet render as it cures norm after one days drying get a bucket and a drinking cup and pour water at the top of render letting it run down face of render also were render meets floor a small v should be left at base to stop any rising damp :8: also dont recomend ataching expanding metal over painted bricks as render will only be held by whatever you use to fasten metal with

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen