Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling over glass tiles & hardboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

banimeuk

Re-tiling batchroom/shower. I've got some glass tiles I'd ideally like to avoid ripping off, so I've got some tile-on-tiles adhesive. All great.
Problem is, I'd like to extend the area I'm tiling past where the existing tiles finish. Can I put up some hardboard (3mm hardboard is just the right thickness) over most of the additional area?
Will all the tiles just fall off?!
Should I prepare the hardboard surface with anything?
Rough or smooth side facing the tiles?
Or should I just get the tiles taken off and do it properly..!!!

Thanks for any advice offered!

T

theyomper

Wouldn't use hardboard would suggest either remove tiles or build out additional area with plaster.

D

david campbell

take the tiles of and do it properly!:yes:
you can come across problems tiling over tile such as the weight that that wall will be holding,you also don't know how secure the previous tiles are!

B

banimeuk

I'll put the hardboard away. Removing the glass mosaic tiles might be a complete nightmare, so I guess it's build out with plaster or not extend the tiled area.
Thanks for the advice!

D

david campbell

take the tiles off and do it properly!:yes:
you don't know what problems might arise from tiling over tile,such as the weight issues involved or how secure the previous tiles are!

B

banimeuk

Yes - that's a fair point... I reckon the tiles are pretty secure, and the are isn't large (roughly 2.7m2 on the main wall) so I'd hope the weight wouldn't be too much? I might try to start a corner of the mosaic tiles, and see how easily they come off. If they fall off, I definitely need to remove them all! That would leave me without the problem of making tiles that stand 12mm proud of the wall look OK I guess...

Thanks again for your help - really is appreciated!

B

banimeuk

Well, the tiles are coming off Pretty easily actually! I'll need to do some scraping to get the remaining adhesive and some of the paper backing off, but shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks!

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Grab the Bull by the horns and rip the whole lot of prepare properly and tile trust me when its all done you feel a lot better about it.
Andy

B

banimeuk

OK, well, I reckon that's about half of them, and some of my fingers are wrapped in masking tape on account of the blisters...
This of course was all the missus idea, and she's just phoned to say she's going for a couple of drinks after work. What's that on my forehead? guM?
It'll make the whole job easier tomorrow though, assuming I can convince these arms to move tomorrow...

Reply to Tiling over glass tiles & hardboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen