Currently reading:
Tiling over glass tiles & hardboard?

Discuss Tiling over glass tiles & hardboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

banimeuk

Re-tiling batchroom/shower. I've got some glass tiles I'd ideally like to avoid ripping off, so I've got some tile-on-tiles adhesive. All great.
Problem is, I'd like to extend the area I'm tiling past where the existing tiles finish. Can I put up some hardboard (3mm hardboard is just the right thickness) over most of the additional area?
Will all the tiles just fall off?!
Should I prepare the hardboard surface with anything?
Rough or smooth side facing the tiles?
Or should I just get the tiles taken off and do it properly..!!!

Thanks for any advice offered!

B

banimeuk

Yes - that's a fair point... I reckon the tiles are pretty secure, and the are isn't large (roughly 2.7m2 on the main wall) so I'd hope the weight wouldn't be too much? I might try to start a corner of the mosaic tiles, and see how easily they come off. If they fall off, I definitely need to remove them all! That would leave me without the problem of making tiles that stand 12mm proud of the wall look OK I guess...

Thanks again for your help - really is appreciated!

B

banimeuk

Well, the tiles did come off in the end, as did (nearly) my arm, left thumb, and plasterboards.
Shiny new tiles have gone up, much easier I'm certain than they would otherwise, so many thanks to all of you.
Of course nothing ever goes entirely according to plan....
"I know what would look nice - a row of glass mosaic tiles running all the way along!" OK, so there's now two walls neatly clad in white tiles, with a (precisely) 50mm gap just perfect to take the glass mosaic tiles, once I've cut them into two-tile strips.
Is it me, or are Mosaic tiles actually impossible to fit? They just slide around, get covered in adhesive, and end up all over the place. Has anyone successfully fitted these things, or should they be made illegal (which is how I feel at the moment)?
No More Nails? Sticky foam pads to hold em up until you grout? superglue the little to the wall and forget all about tile adhesive....?
:ban:

Reply to Tiling over glass tiles & hardboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.