Search the forum,

Discuss tiling over floor grade chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GazTech

i'm tiling (500*500 tiles) over floor grade chipboard using bal single part flexible. do i need to apply a primer, if so why, and which primer?
thanks
Hi Graham, to refer to your initial question in June this year, any use of a primer is of little or no consequence, primer has never been used to adhere tiles to chipboard, we already know that the adhesive you have chosen is unsuitable for purpose. Please let us know if they are still down .......Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sharpfamily

hello gaztech,
:yes: yes the 198 tiles (500*500) are so far looking perfect after two and half months. no signs of cracking, lifting or de-bonding. The BAL SPF was very easy to use - I mixed it accurately in 5 tile batches (1.25sqm) at ratio of 5.4ltrs/20kg bag...slightly drier than bag instructions but easily workable.

I had previously experienced using the 2 part Bal on over warm board with warm-up undertile heating. This was only 3 sq m but I found it very messy & laborious to use...& clean-up.

Using the spf for the much larger 50sq m tiling was by comparison a joy. Also I didn't want to overlay with ply as this would create a step at doors with interface with carpet in other rooms.

So...so far so good....I'll let you know if the tiles are still perfect at the year end. Maybe my situation is different to others, where use of spf on chipboard hasn't been successful.
any queries welcome.
regards,
graham

G

grumpygrouter

Glad to hear that your floor is down and you are happy with it. I hope the structure is sufficiently strong for it and it lasts for you.:thumbsup:

A

Alberta Stone

Putting tiles directly onto a single layer of subfloor is never right no matter what you stick it there with.

Add to that it is chipboard (OSB) and you are gambling.
You may luck out and never have a problem,
But it is pure luck with zero logic or common sense involved.

There is a good reason why no adhesive manufacturer will recommend this practice.
Warranty/liability issues.
They have been in the game a long time and know from experience what will work and what will find them in court with a claim against them.

So good luck with the dice chum.

S

sharpfamily

thanks for the best wishes.
Can the success of my floor so far all be really down to luck!?
I'll let you know how the floor is looking at Christmas. I'm pretty confident it will be OK. If it is then maybe there's need to review the guidance and practice on tiling on floorgrade chipboard.
regards,
graham

G

GazTech

Graham..... Thousands of failures onto chipboard that have been recorded, I doubt British Standard or adhesive manufacturers will be affected by your thus far success....:lol:

Reply to tiling over floor grade chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen