Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto chipboard, opinions?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikeyd859

Hi guys.
I have always plied floors before and a customer asked me a question that i wasnt 100% sure on.
'why will adhesive stick to ply and not to chipboard'?
i rang my local supplier just to make sure that i was correct and one guy i spoke to said no adhesive wont stick and another said it will with primer.
just wondered if anyone can shed any light on the situation?

cheers mike

W

White Room

I found some adhesives stick to chipboard (not something I do) but it's the long term effect if moisture gets in will break down the chipboard.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Adhesive sticks very well to carpet! But it's not a very good substrate.
chipboard is not as stable as ply and breaks down when wet.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Adhesive sticks to the surface of chipboard no probs but with it being a particle board , then that is where the problem is , it isn't structural stable enough to 100% hold the tiles in-situ , other particle boards like OSB are the same .

some will say an elastomeric adhesive will work but if the particles give , then so will the tiles... So imo why risk it.

M

mikeyd859

thanks for that guys. at least i can give the customer a decent explination if anyone asks again :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I can understand hardie on chipboard cos you screw it .
What holds ditra down when/if the addy fails on the chipboard ???

I

Ian

It would normally be glued to chipboard with a product like Ardex af200, proper sticky!

Q

Qwerty

Strange isn't it, but Ditra say it's fine! I have fixed it to chipboard a few times with no issues whatsoever.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417470440.171259.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm starting one on Thursday, chipboard on concrete(not floating) using hardie glued and screwed .
Half was tiled before, just on the chipboard, stuck like shat to a blanket, took top layer of board off

Reply to Tiling onto chipboard, opinions?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen