Discuss tiling on ply wall, advice please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have read several threads where it is not recommended to tile over ply walls. I have only recently started my business after many years diy-ing and, although I am pleased with interest and work so far, I don't like to turn anything down at this stage. A friend of a friend has developed/extended his house and asked me to quote for 2floors and one 16sqm bathroom wall job. However, the bathroom walls are 50/50 backerboard and ply. The ply is machine nailed and I know the owner will not remove it all and replace with backerboard or plasterboard. The wall over the bath is ply and has a little deflection at one join. Would overboarding this wall with backerboard work, ensuring it is well screwed into all possible support noggins and also to the
ply at 200mm intervals?
One of the other walls is rock-solid but is slightly out of level with a 2-4mm hollow a one point. Would it be ok to build it up with rapidset and should I prime it first?
All suggestions of alternatives to ripping it all out and replacing with pb or bb very welcome.............

W

White Room

The ply being nailed is'nt a good idea, I would advise to change the ply for BB. You don't mention the thickness of the ply

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Its 18mm ply, owner says ply is machine nailed with what looks like pretty heavy duty nails The wall with deflection is plain wall over the bath, the other wall has window, vanity unit etc and i am happier it will not flex. Would 6mm backerboard over the 18mm ply not be enough if properly screwed through ply to supports?

W

White Room

The 18mm ply is on now, I don't like ply on walls. Prime the ply with sbr, 3-1 and try and make it as water tight as possible, even tank it if you can. Screw the ply to the stud work, nails are a liability. where there is deflection that must be sorted before any tiles are fixed. Use a cement/flexi based adhesive and grout. You would have to put on 12.5mm backer board, not 6mm on the walls. Builders, don't you just love em.
IMO, others may offer you differing advise

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks guys, although another 12.5 + 8mm tile/adhesive is not going to be good news for him for wall depth over bath.
On the 2nd question can I confirm it's ok to build up hollows (max 5mm) on other wall with rapidset over sbr prime as above??

S

shercotoe

spoke to biscem today about the same problem. they basicly said dont touch it with a barge pole. no amount of sealer will stop the ply from moving & the tile adhesive will eventually come away from the ply. best to check with the tech dept of the adhesive. they are allways helpfull.

Reply to tiling on ply wall, advice please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley