Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling a slightly damp floor. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ishy16

Hi Guys,

Apoligies if i post int he wrong section its my first time ive used this site and i hope to be using it quite often now as i have seen some good advice posted.

I have a 2 bedroom ground floor Flat i need to get tiled, im fairly good at tiling myself so will give it a shout. Only problem i have is as i took up the lino i noticed that the floor was quite wet.

The floor has been allowed to dry and there are still some patches of wet i think due to the ground floor level being higher on one side. When the floor was done it had hardcore and the black damp proof membrane put it followed by the concrete and screed. Im looking to tile the floor but i was thinking if i do the following would this be ok, any reccomednations would be great

1)Prep the floor so no dust or holes,
2) Install the Waterproof tape to the edges of each room and halway up the wall where the gound level is higher
3) Apply the Damp Proof Membrane
4) Once dry reapply the Damp Proof Membrane with sand mixed in so it has gives a good adhesive for the tile adhesive to set on
5) Tile ontop

Can you please let me know if that is ok and what the ideal tape and membrane would be to use?
I have looked on the forum and you guys have suggested Mapei Aqua Defense Waterproofing Membrane or Ardex
Also what would be the best adhesive to use to stick the tiles to the floor once it has this membrane?

Ideally i would be looking for supplies i could purchase from the Birmingham Area.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ish

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Eh right lets start from the beginning. Are you shore its damp and not just wet from where the lino has been sweating. Seen it loads of times when ripping up lino floor sweats underneath but should dry out..

T

TJ Smiler

Eh right lets start from the beginning. Are you shore its damp and not just wet from where the lino has been sweating. Seen it loads of times when ripping up lino floor sweats underneath but should dry out..

Brave brave man lol

I

Ishy16

Hi

Well im assuming its damp, because it rained yesterday and the section of the flat which has a higher ground level on the other side of the wall has a moist floor while the rest of the flat is still drying out.

I was thinking by applying the membrane to that side of the wall and floor it would stop the flat floor becoming wet.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if its rising damp then theres not a lot you can do, apart from fixing the reason you have damp !!

however if it is that bad im sure you would have know about before you ripped your lino up as the damp smell would of be a tell tale sign, wet rising up the walls, paint peeling etc, I would get a damp company in to take a look first it may turn out to be something totally different..

I

Ishy16

Yeah, ive had a few contractors down today, think im going to have to get a basement tanking done, sounds like the best way. its partially a basement thats why.

Also quick question, what is the best adhesive to tile onto concrete/screed. tiles are ceramic. and i guess you would prime the floor first, what primer do you recommend?

Reply to Tiling a slightly damp floor. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen