Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling a Ply bath frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

henryb1

Morning all, newbie here!

Im trying to make a surround for my bath. I have put a plywood frame around it i want to put ceramic tiles on top of it.

I tiled the bottom layer last night, however this morning they just fell off when touched.

Is there a special adhesive i need to use?
I used a adhesive and grout from Wickes which says it can be used on wood.

Thanks in advance

D

david campbell

hi there and welcome to the forum,have you checked the adhesive to say if the ply needs primed first,you say "they had just fell of",not being funny here but what did you spread the adhesive with,where these tiles supported by anything i.e floor,baton,did you also firmly apply the tile to the adhesive?

H

henryb1

Hi

Yeah i checked the box and no instructions were given it just said it could be used on wood. I used a spreading tool on the adhesive on the back of the tile and the tiles were supported by the floor.

Thanks for the reply

S

simhopper

apply adhesive to plywood and not the tile

is the plywood securely fixed,i normally use 2by2 timber screwed to floor and glued to bath underside,coupleof diagonal bracing bars and uprights every 500mm

Tiles look best when flush with edge of bath,no dodgy looking tile trims for me

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Was it this stuff by any chance??

235316-ab0-00co_full.jpg

Ask anyone on here about there views on adhesive/grout in one products.
Sorry......but you'd be better off taking them off.....if they haven't already fallen off, and using a 2 part adhesive such as Bal fastflex.

These all in one products are generally rubbish and some take weeks to go off.

Fastflex is expensive........and can be a nightmare to use if your not used to it, but once on, the tiles ain't going anywhere.

Oh......your'll need flexi grout with that as well :yes:

Reply to Tiling a Ply bath frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen