Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiles to paint transition in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a "normal" way to do this. I'm planning a shower area with tiles and then immediately outside it will be painted. I was hoping that the shower door frame would somehow hide the transition but I now know the tiles need to go completely under the frame.
The tiles are 9mm thick. Would you put some trim on the wall at a position immediately outside and parellel to the door frame? Then tile to the trim and then add the frame? Or maybe you'd just tile up to where the edge of the frame is will go and try and silicone the large gap behind or add some other trim at the end?
I'm a bit confused as you can see! Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

W

Waluigi

Trim flush with the edge of the tray so you can butt up your skirting or tiled skirting against it.

Compensating profile of your screen is usually set back 10mm.

Excuse the mess as it’s not finished but something like this:-

3F57E802-259B-4F64-B884-0AECD09450D2.jpeg

Reaction score
Just to say belated many thanks indeed for your very informative post. I know we're a couple of months down the line but got distracted and now about to start.

I did also come across this thread where they seem to say its ok to tile flush to the outer frame edge but then unlike yourself, there is no detail on how that would be finished let alone sealed.

I've no doubt that technically your solution is excellent but would look slightly better (I think) if that sliver of tile on show could be avoided?

advice on tiling inside a shower cubicle - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/advice-on-tiling-inside-a-shower-cubicle.63580/

Edit: I wonder why my posts now need waiting for moderator approval? I don't think I've been a bad boy !

T

Time's Ran Out

Your edit ref moderation!
I like to read all the posts before allowing content through in case it’s a complaint about me!
I’am sure it’s down to the no. of posts to start with - your now on 8.

W

Waluigi

The slither of tile could be avoided by not tiling right against the edge of the tray. Don’t forget that a shower screen profile is usually set back about 8 to 12mm. Not ideal in terms of siliconing as you are applying a bead of silicone to a gap rather than a 90 degree transition but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Not something I would do personally though.

Reply to Tiles to paint transition in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks