Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Just read through this thread and seen some proper horrors. Saw something like this a couple of times;

View attachment 46600

What is the correct way to do this sort of cut? would you go to the trouble of getting the system drained, removing the rad valve and drilling the tile?

Sometime this is unavoidable. But, in the picture you have there perhaps some biege silicone for the cut marks instead of grout would of looked a bit better.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just read through this thread and seen some proper horrors. Saw something like this a couple of times;

View attachment 46600

What is the correct way to do this sort of cut? would you go to the trouble of getting the system drained, removing the rad valve and drilling the tile?

Yes, if you want it doing correctly.

If that's not possible I normally drill a hole where the rad stalk comes out of the floor, and then from the wall side of the tile I would do 2 cuts on the wet cutter in a V shape towards the hole. Then I would fix the tile in place and then slide the V shape cut out towards the pipe which closes the gap left by the cut of the wet cutter. Possibly fill any little nicks with same colour silicon.

I

Ian

Sorting out a shower cubicle at the mo, it's been leaking. It's a catalogue of errors but my favourite part is the tray. The opening is 90x80cm and the tray that had been used was 70x70, the area around the edge had a little shelf on it, not a problem I hear you say, well here's what I found when I started taking it apart

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353613326.604254.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353613341.059425.jpg

Two courses of bricks, not stuck by the way just placed in around the edge, covered with about an inch of skim, then the tiled shelf on top! Some how this lasted 10 years before it leaked, mind you, there were several tiles siliconed to the wall, I'd guess that a dozen tubes of silicone had been used.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPad

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I need to get me one of those big square cutters for cutting wastes into the floor. :mad2: Tray's well supported on that corner then?

I

Ian

Massive hole Ali, I built a new frame out of 4x2 to put the new one on, screwed the frame straight to the joists.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone 5

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
It's shocking some of the things we find eh? That's a chunky stone tray as well. i think the low profile ones weigh in at around 25kg for a 760. That's gotta be about 35Kg+ sat there.

Q

Qwerty

Ripping out a newly tiled bathroom which is only a month old. Carpenter had a unique fixing method!

haruru7u.jpg

eqyhu6y6.jpg

yhupa9a5.jpg

W

White Room

Thats the Teflon version, non stick:lol:

Why are having to rip it off Geoff after only a month...

Reaction score
Its becoming a regular monthly discovery. Builders, plasterers and plumbers who say they do the whole job but...well, you know the rest.

Today's gem is an 800 quad held in place by 1 screw only, no silicone in the base of the wall plates and about 2 tubes worth under the front bar. Oh, and a lovely surprise water feature in the dining room when they used it for the first time. They only moved in on saturday.

Q

Qwerty

Another one for the collection- called by a couple to look at "settlement cracks" in the floor of their ensuite (it's ok though as that's what the builder told them might happen after a couple of years!!!! :yikes:)

I had to break the bad news to the customers that the cowboy fixing was to blame. The builder had laid the Marmox showerlay former directly onto joists with the rest of the floor (chipboard) tiled onto with NO tanking. The whole floor moves!!! I have never seen such a bad job

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407790799.003793.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407790809.904088.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407790820.503332.jpg

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Another one for the collection- called by a couple to look at "settlement cracks" in the floor of their ensuite (it's ok though as that's what the builder told them might happen after a couple of years!!!! :yikes:)

I had to break the bad news to the customers that the cowboy fixing was to blame. The builder had laid the Marmox showerlay former directly onto joists with the rest of the floor (chipboard) tiled onto with NO tanking. The whole floor moves!!! I have never seen such a bad job

View attachment 59424
View attachment 59425
View attachment 59426

Jesus it's a wonder they didn't fall through that floor!!!!!

Reply to Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks