Discuss tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

J Sid

Thanks. Says he will come back this week and will fix it. Says is time consuming but not difficult.

You are right that it seems to be such a basic mistake. I'm even annoyed at myself for not realising this before the tiles went down. ...but I am not a tiler. I consists having a go but thought better of it in case I screwed it up.

There is another issue. At the moment I can't tell if the frame of the drain is the same height as the tiles. ...again as a professional this should have been a basic check.

But as you point out. ...I have nothing to lose by letting him try.

Thanks.
I would check the box this drain came in, should be a height adjustment kit

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
With respect, the install is not and has not been done by a professional in any way. You employed someone that only works for cash, which by itself is not illegal but in this industry sometimes suggests cowboy. Looking at your job it's leaning towards the latter.
I get paid in cash 50% of the time and still declare the jobs it's a pretty silly thing to say only cowboys take cash lol

Q

Qwerty

it's a pretty silly thing to say only cowboys take cash lol

He didn't say that...... he said -

You employed someone that only works for cash, which sometimes suggests cowboy. Looking at your job it's leaning towards the latter.

A fair opinion I say. I too deal in cash (I hate it though as it involves so much grief just to pay it in) but a tradesman that deals only in cash screams rogue trader.

Only cash = no audit trail = no tax = rogue

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

A fair opinion I say. I too deal in cash (I hate it though as it involves so much grief just to pay it in) but a tradesman that deals only in cash screams rogue trader.

Ok maybe I miss read it.... The joys of wrangling a 4 year old and looking after a 8 month old baby while on the forum haha

D

Dumbo

Agreed it's to much hassle

Q

Qwerty

@SpItal_Jeff My advice to you would be to swallow your losses and hire a professional that comes highly recommended through this forum or from word of mouth to get you the wet room you always wanted. You could chase this to the nth degree causing you undue stress, upset and possibly more costs! The chances of you getting anywhere with the tradesman are highly unlikely but that's not to say that you couldn't make a small claims case against him. Having said that, you would have to take steps to allow him to put right his wrongs.

If I were you I would cut my losses and move on. Most of us here have alot of experience in seeing bad jobs that we have to either put right or rip out and redo. I've had customers break down in tears when I visit them because of a bodged wet room because of the stress.
Move on, rip out, refit, get the wet room you envisaged and then hope the cowboy you had trips on one of his own lipped tiles and breaks his neck!!!!

S

SpItal_Jeff

@SpItal_Jeff My advice to you would be to swallow your losses and hire a professional that comes highly recommended through this forum or from word of mouth to get you the wet room you always wanted. You could chase this to the nth degree causing you undue stress, upset and possibly more costs! The chances of you getting anywhere with the tradesman are highly unlikely but that's not to say that you couldn't make a small claims case against him. Having said that, you would have to take steps to allow him to put right his wrongs.

If I were you I would cut my losses and move on. Most of us here have alot of experience in seeing bad jobs that we have to either put right or rip out and redo. I've had customers break down in tears when I visit them because of a bodged wet room because of the stress.
Move on, rip out, refit, get the wet room you envisaged and then hope the cowboy you had trips on one of his own lipped tiles and breaks his neck!!!!

I tend to think that is the most valuable, straight forward advice I have received thus far. I have actually already contacted another tiler whom has a high rating on Checkatrade.com. I think I am resigning myself to the best option of rip out and refit, and suck up the £2000 I've already spent on labour and materials. Not all of it is wasted, just most.

Thanks again for the straightforward advice. I came to the same conclusion, just didn't want to admit it.

C

Canyondust

Hello all.
I have been frequenting this forum for approximately 3 months after wanting to fit a wet room (all installed and happy).
I had some good advice and help from the people here and every question asked answered.
I was thinking how hard it is to answer some of watched been asked without seeing the job, even then it's tricky.

I genuinely feel for your upset, frustration and difficult position.

I can only hope you do find the solutions. What would be nice is whoever does the rework if you could let us know with pictures how it went and also a thanks to the people giving advice here.

J

F

Flintstone

I tend to think that is the most valuable, straight forward advice I have received thus far. I have actually already contacted another tiler whom has a high rating on Checkatrade.com. I think I am resigning myself to the best option of rip out and refit, and suck up the £2000 I've already spent on labour and materials. Not all of it is wasted, just most.

Thanks again for the straightforward advice. I came to the same conclusion, just didn't want to admit it.

I'm glad you have seen the light! But why use check a trade? Why not use somebody truely good off this forum. I would snap @impish hand off for his offer.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This happens all the time people have a job there unhappy with then join the forum to find solutions to fix the problem it's a shame more people don't join earlier and pick someone off here to do the job

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Am I the only one that is wondering how it looks with the SS grate put on?

Whilst the cuts around the frame are iffy, to say the least, how far out is it with the grate on???

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The most unappreciative member I've seen so far this year. Sorry you had to put up with that lads, and sorry we won't find out how the job ended up.

I've banned him.

He isn't worthy of your time and deserves everything he gets with that wetroom.

I'd guess he did it himself and Ballsed it up but might be wrong. Either way doesn't matter now.

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You can't tile a wet room without the drain in place , no one can tell you whether damage will occur trying to make good , get your money back and start again

Reply to tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks