Discuss tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SpItal_Jeff

I never work for cash . Perhaps you could threaten him with the tax man . I'm sure he would love an in investigation.

I'm not getting ahead of myself. I'd rather not threaten anything. I'll start by along him to "do his best" and to"rectify the problem". He hasn't replied to me yet, but it IS a bank holiday weekend. He may willingly come back and be able to fix it.

This has caused me a few sleepless nights. As I said I was just going to find out of there was a trick of the trade to fix this sort of mis take. Thanks

Reaction score
there might be a "trick of the trade" to get the tile up and fix the job without a complete removal.

I dont think it should be too far fetched to come to a tiling forum to look for that sort of advice?

Ok, I missed that angle of questioning. So did every other reader.

I think you need a discussion with the 'Tiler' and come to a decision between you. If he's confident, great. If not, more discussion.

I never work for cash . Perhaps you could threaten him with the tax man . I'm sure he would love an in investigation.

Not sure on the relevance of it being cash tbh.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Ok! Here is another question. ..

The thickness of the tile is 6mm (I think. I will measure one to be sure ).

Is there an attachment or a multitool that can be set accurately to 6 or 7mm which would at least remove the grout without damaging the surface of the tray?

S

SpItal_Jeff

Looking at the standard of the install you have still never met a tiler.....

That isn't helpful. It's so easy to say "I could do better" without justification. We are often not defined by the good work we do but how we fix our mistakes.

I have never seen a "perfect" tiled job and I have looked at loads during this process.

If he comes and fixes his mistake I can't berate him for it.

I do however agree that when he returns, should he manage to remove the tiles, not only will I replace the waterproofing myself but I will provide him with a bag of 2mm spacers to get the tiles around the drain square and explain the importance of cutting the tiles evenly. That part of it isn't to my standard.

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
With respect, the install is not and has not been done by a professional in any way. You employed someone that only works for cash, which by itself is not illegal but in this industry sometimes suggests cowboy. Looking at your job it's leaning towards the latter.

S

SpItal_Jeff

With respect, the install is not and has not been done by a professional in any way. You employed someone that only works for cash, which by itself is not illegal but in this industry sometimes suggests cowboy. Looking at your job it's leaning towards the latter.

The payment method is not relevant. He never told me he only worked for cash. I chose to pay him that way. Do you take card payments then?

What about the job, apart from the tiles surounding the drain is not professional? What would you do differently? Specifically?

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
Your right the payment method isn't relevant so why did you first bring it up? Why did you say you have never met a tiler that doesn't just work for cash?
You seem to be another person coming on here just to provoke people when you don't get to hear exactly what you want to hear. Collectively you will not find more knowledge about tiling anywhere else, yet you don't seem to want to hear any of it.
Legally you do have to give this guy the chance to rectify what he has done. But would you want to? you say there isn't anything wrong with the rest of the install, but there is...... it's not good tiling at all. He isn't a tiler.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Your right the payment method isn't relevant so why did you first bring it up? Why did you say you have never met a tiler that doesn't just work for cash?
You seem to be another person coming on here just to provoke people when you don't get to hear exactly what you want to hear. Collectively you will not find more knowledge about tiling anywhere else, yet you don't seem to want to hear any of it.
Legally you do have to give this guy the chance to rectify what he has done. But would you want to? you say there isn't anything wrong with the rest of the install, but there is...... it's not good tiling at all. He isn't a tiler.

I don't think I was the first one to bring up the payment method.

I should correct myself...I have never met any tradesman who PREFERS to be paid in anything but cash. And someone who has pride in their work, it should not be a problem.

You say it is not a professional job. Please explain? What would you do differently? I will point it out to him if/when he returns and suggest he could have done better. Because apart from the tiles surrounding the drain, I don't see any other issues.

The only other issue I have, is that he ran the border tiles up to the wall, where I would have preferred a border of square tiles as when we go over the top with a skirting tile it is going to hide the first edge of the border.

But apart from that it looks ok to me. I welcome specifics? Thanks

As for not being a tiler...(Apparently) he has 20 years experience and a gold cscs card (whatever that is).

He made a mistake. We all do it. I am hoping he will be able to fix it, and why would I not give him the chance to....no one else is going to come in and fix this without ripping everything up, starting again, and probably costing in excess of £1,000. So I have nothing to lose by letting him try, assuming he is willing.

It is difficult to find a professional tiler. I asked for recommendations; never got any. I got this recommendation of the internet, much like this forum. Of course you never know who to trust. You pays your money and takes your chance. Im certainly not looking to provoke anyone.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We're only trying to help you if this hits the fan......which it may do...

If you didn't get a written quotation, paid cash without getting a receipt , then you don't have a leg to stand on to take the matter further.

If he comes back and puts it right....then problem solved.......let's wait and see.

There's no magic way of removing the tiles except very carefully. I would use a hammer and small screwdriver grinding the joints and even the tile into smaller pieces would help.

If this fails to work, destroys the tray, wrecks the wpm or the drain beyond repair .....them it's a complete rip out and start again...

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You say it is not a professional job. Please explain?
1.All cuts around the drain prove lack of experience
2.All lips you can easy see on the pictures
3.All holes in grout
4.All grey adhesive mixed with white grout
5.Small black piece in border right hand in the middle(20 years experience?)
6.Poor cleaning
7.No spaces all around drain
8.Just my opinion,not necessary wrong but for me the border need to be the same(right hand is just half border)
I'm pretty sure is more then what we see in the pictures,but that is enough to affirm ''This is not a tiler!''

Last edited:
N

neil forrest

Interesting discussion.
Firstly I can understand your frustration at not getting the advice you are looking for more easily. It's easy for everyone to be critical and patronising of the the work when you've tried to do the right thing and bring someone in to do a job properly. There's always an element of risk involved when hiring a tradesman. Even when they come recommended. Then factor in the customer isn't a tiler so can't easily spot some of the poor tiling on display and is therfore understandably defending it.
To answer to the question is straightforward.
Can they be removed? Yes of course they can.
Will it cause damage? You won't know until you try.
Either way you lose nothing by trying.
Suggested removal technique? As stated. Multi-tool the grout joints and try gently chap out the offending tiles.
In regards to the quality of tiling?
The fact the cuts around the trap don't allow instalation of the drain cover tell you all you need to know about the tiler. Anyone who makes such a basic mistake is ether not a tiler or an absolute cowboy.
There are other issues apparent in the pics that have been highlighted. Some if the spacings and pitch of the tiles look crude to say the best.
Personally can't see this guy retuning to fix. Hope you can get it corrected to a point that your happy with.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Thanks. Says he will come back this week and will fix it. Says is time consuming but not difficult.

You are right that it seems to be such a basic mistake. I'm even annoyed at myself for not realising this before the tiles went down. ...but I am not a tiler. I consists having a go but thought better of it in case I screwed it up.

There is another issue. At the moment I can't tell if the frame of the drain is the same height as the tiles. ...again as a professional this should have been a basic check.

But as you point out. ...I have nothing to lose by letting him try.

Thanks.

D

Dumbo

Watch out for him trying to build up tiles around the drain if the drain is higher than the tiles as the water won't drain very well if you do not have the correct falls . Oh and by the way if I get offered cash I tell them I would prefer it if I could send them an invoice and if they could pay by bacs please .

Reply to tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks