Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tile weight on plaster board walls, MR, Centres, data origin in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

I know this has been asked lots before but I cannot find (after reading the White Book and 'Site Book Tiling) where the information regarding loadings for plasterboard are listed. I found plenty for Glasroc H.

The question came up as a colleague of mine has boarded his bathroom with MR 12.5mm (dont know the centres). In one corner will be fitted a shower tray (describes as type with legs), a door and single side panel. Tiles are 16kg/m2 and British made from B&Q (27.5x34x9 - Illusion marble effect). Is this board with a tanking system suitable? Would it be better/easier to remove and use another board in the shower area?

All the best

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Andy
Thanks for the quick reply; most appreciated.

So use the MR board in the shower area? With tanking? What is the preferred method of interface to the shower tray?

I read many posts relating to BCT - should I be concerned in this case? (He mentioned B&Q and British made tiles)
Where does the 32kg/m2 data come from? I couldnt find it.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Impish - many thanks - just what I wanted (its so he can read it) and it also has some reference to C1/C2 adhesive.

https://www.tiles.org.uk/services/frequently-asked-questions

I thought I would paste in a small section.

Tiling a shower or wetroom
Looking for the perfect shower or wetroom? There are many things you need to consider before beginning to tile your shower or wetroom – make sure you get the results you want by taking tiling advice from experts at The Tile Association.

British Standard BS5385 is the Code of Practice for fixing wall and floor tiles. Part 4 of the Standard offers advice on fixing tiles in particular situations including wet areas such as in showers.

First check with your tile supplier that the tile is suitable for use in a shower and/or bathroom. It is essential to tile onto an already water resistant background. Sand/cement render, dense concrete or water resistant tilebacker board are ideal backgrounds. Plaster, plasterboard, timber and timber-based products such as MDF or plywood are absorbent and should be made waterproof by the use of a waterproofing or tanking system.

Waterproofing systems can be painted on to the background. Most tile adhesive producers have a range of waterproofing systems that coordinate with the tile adhesives and grouts in their product ranges.

The tile adhesive should be a water resistant polymer enhanced adhesive meeting the requirements of BS EN 12004 for a D2 dispersion adhesive or C1 or C2 for a cementitious adhesives and the tile grout should be water resistant, meeting the requirements of BS EN 13888.

Attachments

• tileitright-ammended.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Added files as I can't get the link to work either

Attachments

• tileguide-amended.pdf
    9.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Choosing-Bathroom-Tiles.pdf
    281.3 KB · Views: 8
S

Spare Tool

Has the question changed from the original post now? Its 32kgs on plasterboard regardless if the tiles are BCT or whatever ;)

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Hi Andy. The question was where does the data come from rather than what is the data (sorry if that wasn't so clear). The links I had to BG didn't work and I also noticed that BAL reference the same broken link.

Also Is this board with a tanking system suitable? Would it be better/easier to remove and use another board in the shower area?

Added clarity - does the loading spec change with a tanking membrane between adhesives and MR board ? Also is this the best solution - should a tile board / cement board be used instead ?

S

Spare Tool

Oh right, yes tanked plasterboard is suitable, no it doesn't alter the weight limits and if its already boarded then no I wouldn't rip it off to replace with cement or a waterproof board. Tank it, tile it right using a cement adhesive, grout and seal and good job :)

Reply to Tile weight on plaster board walls, MR, Centres, data origin in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks