Search the forum,

Discuss Tile lippage - shall I stop the work? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

ReX83

So, it took me some time to convince the builder that the problem were not to the tiles (he said they were not perfectly flat) or the floor (that was just leveled by the way).

Eventually another tiler came and all the tiles poorly installed were removed. Not a single tile was damaged in the removal process, so I wonder if they were glued properly. The new installation took some time but I am now very happy with the result (no lippage and uniform gaps of 3mm).

He also had to remove part of the self'-leveling compound (I could see the guy frustration when he looked at it - lol) because it was not leveled: it uniformly raised the floor.

R

ReX83

Quick update - the work is complete but the grout is brighter than the original one. We removed a small sample from the original floor and compared to Mapei samples but apparently it is a shadow darker (we thought it was 133 but it is 134.

Is there any trick to make it darker without waiting for ageing or redoing it?

Stefan

TF
Reaction score
That looks exactly like the tile which was installed in my brother in laws house. There may be lippage because plank tiles like that are known to bow. I've had problems with these in the past and have told customers about this and they've ordered different tile as a result. An easy way to check this is you turn the tile sideways, look down the tile the long way as if you were pointing a rifle and looking down its sights. If it looks like a banana, stay away from it.

R

ReX83

@Paul C. thanks! I didn't know about this product. I will order and try on a small area. Do you know is the finish is going to be matte as with original grout or more glossy/satin like paint?

@Stefan, I did this exact check when he mentioned that it was due to tiles. The tiles were actually perfectly flat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tile lippage - shall I stop the work? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen