Search the forum,

Discuss Tile grout blown, tiles easily lifted up. what's the problem? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

To answer your original question though, how to rectify it. It all needs taking up. Replace the ply with something stronger that's not 6mm ply. if you've damp issues, I'd suggest overboard the floor with 10mm wedi board. Or ditra membrane.
And most important, get a tiler in who knows how to prepare properly!

Reaction score
another issue is that the tiles slope downwards as they approach the front door!
how would i straighten this? is screed the correct material?
Thank you!

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Many thanks for your replies.

You could be correct about the possibility of damp. We are having to install a damp course into the adjacent walls in the front hallway. Dampness runs half way up the walls.

Saying that, the joists and noggins weren’t damp when the tiles were installed.

Plus, the builder used cheap plywood. Some of it (6mm) went onto floor boards. The remainder was 18mm ply where they were no floorboards.

Is it just damp that would cause the adhesive not to bond to the tile or ply?

Some recommend I don’t use plywood. Do you agree?

What does SBR bonding do (in layman’s simple terms!)?

SBR, is a primer and admixture , which increases bond strength and flexibility.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
another issue is that the tiles slope downwards as they approach the front door!
how would i straighten this? is screed the correct material?
Thank you!
If you are lifting and replacing the flooring, you can level the floor by fixing timber fillets onto the joists. ( tapering timber pieces, to bring floor to level ,before re-laying flooring).

You say that you have damp , half way up walls. Also worth checking the condition of the over site, (is it sealed). What is the sub floor ventilation like?. Do you have issues of sub-floor condensation. Closely inspect joist ends where close to damp external walls.

Reply to Tile grout blown, tiles easily lifted up. what's the problem? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen