Search the forum,

Discuss Thank you Dan in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bill

May I take it that you are hosting this yourself Dan? Surely it can't be too expensive to have it professionally hosted?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
May I take it that you are hosting this yourself Dan? Surely it can't be too expensive to have it professionally hosted?
Christ no! You couldn't get the connection speeds we need across the network on a domestic line. Upload speeds are shocking even if you have 150MB/sec download lol

We're hosted in France on Teir 3 backbone (faster than what we get in the UK) and use a server management firm based in Italy, who are experienced in small-business DDoS attack prevention and monitoring. As we've had a bit of that in the past. And we use a range of software and hardware based all around the globe to ensure we stay online.

Problem is, we have one SSD that we load content from, and no slave (it wouldnt work the way we are setup) so when that fails, it's end of posting!

We've managed to load from it, and have cut back on cron jobs, taken backups offsite, done a few other tricks.

Our hosting costs in the region of £450 per month per domain! Hence me shutting down the 22 or so forums that I hosted but didn't use and nobody visited much lol

We couldn't host on cheap hosting. We'd never be online.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be shattered @Dan!
Least my phone will stop ringing now! Haha
It got to the stage where I wasn't really being productive so just went bed. I was making things worse trying to fix things. Then the server guy was doing one thing and i was doing another and it was kinda counteracting what the other was doing. Communication isn't brilliant when I speak poor english and can't speak french or italian, and the server firm is french and the management firm is italian lol

So I did give up a couple of times and just leave it to the pros. Would keep coming back with a job list though. As I tend to have on the forums every time I visit them after a couple of days off lol

Thanks for keeping people posted matey.

O

Old Mod

It was frustrating that I didn't have more numbers to add!
And no way of accessing them. Haha

Reply to Thank you Dan in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen