Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Sticking Mosaic tiles with Silicone in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
oh dear, that much humour means someone (or indeed someones) have been at the laughing soup. Silicone is a wonderful adhesive but not for porcelain or any tiles for that matter in any circumstances. "Saddlebag Tiling". I will add it to my limited repertoire of tiling wit.

On a similar vein I was asked today to do an "extra" which was to re-do the grout on the floor tiles in the cloakroom. Large country house (a Hall no less), v nice. Tiles were marble and laid upside down as well as having been grouted with silicone. How I wish I'd heard of Saddlebag Tiling this morning :)

K

karlm98

jeez did the guy keep a straight face when he asked you that? did you check for a camera crew? hope you dont let him anywhere near your bathroom after a statement like that!

U

user123

That's the second time this week I have heard of a so-called tiler wanting to stick tiles, mosaic or otherwise, with silicone. Please tell him to go home, if poosible going past the church for confession and past a charity shop to donate his tools...

C

Colour Republic

Mosaic Fix is fine but two things to remember, 1) don't let this joker fix them as i'm almost positive he will get it all over the place and 2) I wouldn't buy BAL mosaic fix from Topps Tiles unless you have more money than sense

C

Colour Republic

if poosible going past the church for confession and past a charity shop to donate his tools...

I've got a feeling he may only have a mastic gun, hence his suggestion.

Sorry Menjee, i know we are all laying it this guy but it really was a stupid suggestion by him.

C

Colour Republic

Cheers, would you use this one or BAL mosaic fix?

Personally I'd go for the Adesilex P9 or the P10 if they are glass mosaics.

Although I really would look for a tiler to do the job and see what his/her preference on adhesive is. Mosaic's can so easily be messed up and look terrible if installed by an unskilled tiler.

Ring round your local tilers and get them to come and give you a price, as to see examples of their work, most tilers who take pride in their job will have plenty of photos to show you or you may be able to go and see a job they are working on at the moment of the home owner doesn't mind.

Or you can see if you can find a tiler in your area on here, if you click on a members username it will come up with their profile and many have photo albums in their profile of their work.

This all sounds like i'm trying to push you to use a tiler from here, but i'm not it's just one more avenue to find someone capable of doing a good job.

Get a few people round, check them out as much as you can and see examples of their work. Let them do the talking and you can always cross reference their advice on this forum to weed out any chancers.

Expect to pay a fair price for a fair job - Skilled Artisans are not cheap....Cheap artisans are not skilled

Please don't buy some adhesive for the guy who was going to use silicone, it shows a lack of understanding on his part and i'm guessing he has never fixed mosaic before in his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Derry

ask him if his car was being serviced in the garage would he let them fit brake pads with pritt stick?!

why on earth would anyone use silicone to fix tiles?!
its not as if it would even save him time or money either!

Reply to Sticking Mosaic tiles with Silicone in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks