Search the forum,

Discuss spacers and notched trowel advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mintsauce5

Hi Everyone ,
I'm just about to start tiling my bathroom after having the tiles sitting in the hall for almost twelve months , my question is , i'm putting up 10"x16" tiles what would be the best size spacers to use and what size notched trowel will i need to use , i'm going to be using mapei p9 adhesive , will that be ok ? , any advice will be appreciated as its 20m2 i'm doing so i'm a bit wary :yikes:

D

david campbell

defo 3mm spacers for tiles that size unless they are travertine,the trowel size depends on how flat your wall are! these tiles would probably struggle to be put onto a plaster finished wall due to the weight:thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
defo 3mm spacers for tiles that size unless they are travertine,the trowel size depends on how flat your wall are! these tiles would probably struggle to be put onto a plaster finished wall due to the weight:thumbsup:

That's what I said, in less words though :D the reasons I was asking about tile type is that we're doing a lot of 600x300mm polished porcelain at the moment and it really does suit a 2mm joint, so I was asking :thumbsup: I mean, a bevelled edge with a 3mm spacer is going to look huge IMHO, a lot comes down to personal choice though :thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone's concerned about the weight!?! The only dimension that would have any bearing on weight is the thickness, and the OP hasn't mention that!?!?

If they are fair quality tiles, i'd go with 2mm spacers. If cheap tiles, 3mm. As for Trowel, probably 8mm, but depending on walls.

M

marke

dont know mapei adhesive really so dont know there ,but for me 2mm spacers probably 8 mm ,trowel but if its your first job and walls are very uneven perhaps think about improving walls before you start , if they are all ok ish you should be fine :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to spacers and notched trowel advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen