Search the forum,

Discuss Socket screws in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

klouan

Hello all,

What is the best way of shortening a socket screw? I have had to replace some existing ones with longer screws but they are a bit too long.

Don't want to bugger up any of my tools by using the wrong thing.

Thanks

Kirstie

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yup...........pliers.

They can then be a bit stubborn to screw in the first couple of turns..........until they cut there own thread.

Had to replace 8 double & 4 single sockets screws today...........cleared me out

D

DHTiling

I have a 8inch pair of mini bolt cutters very slim in design and cut through socket screws with ease.......i got mine from thee old B&Q.....

A handy tool to get as well is a socket threader just incase a screw goes in cross threaded then you can re-thread it.....:)..

Ruko Socket Re-Threader 3.5mm - NoLinksToThis, Where the Trade Buys

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bearwithme

pliers again, if you have a little nut that fits lying around. wind it down the screw then cut. when you take of the nut it will clean up the thread enough not to cross thread it.

K

klouan

Thanks for all your replies. Had a go last night with my pliers but they were only a small pair so no joy - of course it could just be my weak girly grip :lol: !!

My plan is to pop to B & Q with a couple of screws in my pocket and have a sneaky try with some bigger pliers or a bolt cutter. I'll just try not to take anyones eye out with bits of flying screw!

Cheers

Kirstie

Reply to Socket screws in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen