Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss So forget about cement boards and foam boards and just tile direct onto wood? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Exactly has it would on a backer boarded floor. First and formost the floor must be strong, no deflection and capable of supporting the tiling installation. BS 5385. The ply-board is only there to over lay an unsuitable substrate ie: chip-board, floorboards. If the main floor structure is not up to it yes the edges are where most failures occur. Is that the ply-board failing or the structure of the floor not being suitable in the first place.

W

Waluigi

This is the reason I do my own prep work.
I just wouldn’t consider doing the job if I didn’t.

F

Flintstone

My thoughts on plywood is that it's probably the worst overlay surface you can tile onto and the sooner it's deemed unacceptable the better. Yes there are as Glynn says a couple of types of ply that are ok, but we all know that the important part of the spec of the ply wood gets lost in translation or disregarded and people end up buying builders yard 9mm ply. As for this Webber adhesive, well simply why would you risk it ?

W

Waluigi

SP101 isn’t easy to get either. In a 20 mile radius to me there are only two companies that sell it. Both only stock 6 and 9mm variants. Ideal for LVT ;)

Reply to So forget about cement boards and foam boards and just tile direct onto wood? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks