Search the forum,

Discuss Slate, Mosaic / Crazy paving help ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

Have set myself a project to re tile my kitchen and hall floors in slate, 15 sq m in all. Want to do something a bit different, do not care how long it takes.
Have got the idea of cutting up 30 x 30 and 60 x 60 chinese multi colour slate into odd size pieces and making a mosaic / crazy paving effect.
Spent a couple of hours today experimenting !
Not as easy as I thought !
Question is, do I put pieces down and try to fit to each other ?
Or piece together as best as possible and then cut up smaller pieces to fit the gaps / holes in between ?
All the pieces were cut with a grinder .......
Struggling a bit to make it work !!!

Attachments

• 2008_0306mosaicslate0001.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 15
D

DHTiling

Nick........heres a great job done by Highlander.......might give you some sort of idea.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x398.
highlander-albums-various-picture716-custom-crazy-paving.jpg

L

Leatherface

Nick........heres a great job done by Highlander.......might give you some sort of idea.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x398.
highlander-albums-various-picture716-custom-crazy-paving.jpg

Thanks, makes more sense, was worried about larger areas of grout in between some of the joints, now see it looks ok :thumbsup:

U

user123

Aah, you forgot, didn't you - only work two to three pieces ahead - cut three, place, thinking of/considering how to place the next three, cut three, place thinking of the next three, otherwise you'll get yourself in a right pickle..:thumbsup: And remember the grout rivers...the pic of Highlander is a good study, you may want to avoid a couple of things there... depending how finickey you want to be - I'm real finickey...

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherface

yes, tried that, but sadly I am in the "Tilers" mindset - bang em down as quick as poss !
Mosaic artist mindset is a bit different !
Highlanders effect is similar to what I am looking for !
What do you think as a mosaic expert ? :smilewinkgrin:

D

doug boardley

why use grout? if onto a concrete screed without ufh ( nowt to say that's what you'll be tiling onto Nick), but what about plain old sand/cement pointing
shine.gif

U

user123

Don't get me wrong, Nick I like Highlanders floor there, but if I had done it I wouldn't have been happy with some of the larger gaps and see towards the far corner, where the slate forms a couple of almost path like patterns that seems to make some back pieces break away from the brilliantly mixed middle section?
If you don't watch for that, especially on narrower floor, it can break it all up visually, go for the effect in the middle section and avoid the big gaps, they'll irritate you forever after if you don't have any furniture covering it...

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherface

Don't get me wrong, Nick I like Highlanders floor there, but if I had done it I wouldn't have been happy with some of the larger gaps and see towards the far corner, where the slate forms a couple of almost path like patterns that seems to make some back pieces break away from the brilliantly mixed middle section?
If you don't watch for that, especially on narrower floor, it can break it all up visually, go for the effect in the middle section and avoid the big gaps, they'll irritate you forever after if you don't have any furniture covering it...

I see it, is that the grout river you were talking about ?
Would not have noticed on photo unless you pointed it out !

Reply to Slate, Mosaic / Crazy paving help ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen