Search the forum,

Discuss slate bathroom floor - help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kimmyhutch

Hi all

I have exactly the same problem; mosaic metallic slate tiles on a wet room floor, that have white stains that looks like limescale. They were professionally fitted and sealed 18 months ago, the marks have appeared over the past few months. On the advice of the tile supplier I used LTP Grimex to remove the sealant, but that did nothing. Then I tried a "natural" limescale & dirt remover. Nothing. I finally resorted to Viakal limescale remover, but still no difference.

Can anyone suggest what I try next?

Thanks
Kim

D

DHTiling

Hi all

I have exactly the same problem; mosaic metallic slate tiles on a wet room floor, that have white stains that looks like limescale. They were professionally fitted and sealed 18 months ago, the marks have appeared over the past few months. On the advice of the tile supplier I used LTP Grimex to remove the sealant, but that did nothing. Then I tried a "natural" limescale & dirt remover. Nothing. I finally resorted to Viakal limescale remover, but still no difference.

Can anyone suggest what I try next?

Thanks
Kim

Any pics kim..?

K

kimmyhutch

Yes I have, but they're over the allowed size for jpeg attachments so it wouldn't let me attach them. I can email them?

K

kimmyhutch

Here's a pic, not great quality but hopefully you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 54
D

DHTiling

Is the white substance on the surface like crystals..does it darken it you wet it..?

K

kimmyhutch

You can't see it at all if the tiles are wet. It's not crystals, its looks just like limescale, sort of dry & powdery, except you can't rub it off.

P

Perry

You can't see it at all if the tiles are wet. It's not crystals, its looks just like limescale, sort of dry & powdery, except you can't rub it off.

i think the moisture could be getting into the side of the slate through the joints and not being able to get out again as it looks like a surface sealer its getting trapped

D

DHTiling

It could be effloresence...i would try LTP grout stain remover as this removes effloresence...follow the directions on the bottle and then once it dries ,if you have the same effect then we can try a couple more options.

If it was topical sealer issues then the grimex would have removed the whitening if you followed the directions for mixing and usage.

Reply to slate bathroom floor - help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen