Search the forum,

Discuss sinking grout on a tiled floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I have tiled sealed and grouted a shower floor area and the grout has seeped lower in some areas than I want can I overgrout. Any tips

T

TrumpersUnited

sounds like it may have been overwatered. I'd rake some out and re grout so the next batch has room to sit in.

Be careful not to over water.

G

gm140

overgrouting will probably result in it drying an uneven colour, best to rake it out and ensure new batch is mixed to the correct consistency, when you turn your bucket trowel upside down it should stick not drip off

Graeme
ETL Pro Tiling

R

Rich

Did it drop after it had dried? It could be that you skimmed over the top of the joint without filling it completly, when it drys it would have cracked and dropped, or maybe that you washed the grout off before it was ready and pulled some out of the joints. Or as Trumpers said it could have been over watered.

U

Unregistered

yes I think I may have washed off too vigouously, to early and I think it may have washed some out then as well as a bit of seepage

R

Rich

You havnt said how big the floor is. If its not a big room I would cut some of the grout out (all the loose stuff) with a Fein multi master if you have one, if not a grout rake, sweep clean, wash with clean water to remove all dust, let that dry then mix up a new batch of grout and re-grout the entire floor, make sure you read the back of the bag as it will tell you how much water to mix it with and how long to leave it for before washing off. :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Not leaving the grout to set up and washing off to early can result in low grout joints..

S

Stephen@Weber

So can your coverage of adhesive if it has voids to run into, you'd want a uniform depth you can go to, even if its only 2 or 3 mm, so rake back and go over the whole floor.

P

peckers

I would rake it back and re-grout, raking it back so as you get an average depth all over off at least half the tile thickness to give you uniformity in colour of the new grout and it will give it a good key to stick too, i would also get a damp sponge and wipe over the old grout before you put the new in. only dampen it dont soak it!:thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

thanks for the tips guys I have scraped some of the tile grout and it is as tough as old boots so I think I washed some out too early. I will scrape the whole area down 3mm and regrout after wetting

Reply to sinking grout on a tiled floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen