Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Silicon that will grip to Fila Colour Intensifier in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JackieF

Hi,

The silicon around my bath and up the walls has not stuck to the Fila Colour Intensifier and it has just peeled off, making the bath leak around the dilicon. can anyone suggest a silicon that will grip to the product or another solution for sealing it?

Thank you,

Jackie (Glasgow)

J

JackieF

Hi,

The silicon around my bath and up the walls has not stuck to the Fila Colour Intensifier and it has just peeled off, making the bath leak around the dilicon. can anyone suggest a silicon that will grip to the product or another solution for sealing it?

Thank you,

Jackie (Glasgow)

Hi Dave,

It is Travertine coated with the colour intensifier.

Jackie

J

JackieF

Hi,

I'm not sure. It was my builder who put it on. They said at the time it was good quality silicon and pretty durable.

Thanks,

jackie

D

DHTiling

I appreciate your reply , but it can just be down to the application method used ...

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
How soon was it applied after the last coat of CI?
I used it late last year on a honed slate floor and used webers silicone with no issue.

T

trevortine

To be honest Jackie the bath should have been sealed before tiling, the outer silicone on tiles does serve a purpose but is really more of a cosmetic finish. Do you know if this was done?

J

JackieF

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. No, the bath wasn't sealed before tiling but the silicon has adhered to the bath but not the tiles. Where the builders have siliconed the grouting for cosmetic reasons on the vertical wall corners, the silicon has peeled off. So I think regardless of whether it was sealed prior to the tiles going on, the silicon would still not have adhered to the tiles.

Regards,

Jackie

T

trevortine

If it had been sealed prior to installing tiles then it wouldn't be leaking, hence to say you still have the problem of silicone not adhering to tiles. My guess is that the sealer wasn't allowed to dry before silicone application. It should be easily rectified by removing old silicone, cleaning thoroughly and reapplying a quality silicone.

D

DHTiling

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. No, the bath wasn't sealed before tiling but the silicon has adhered to the bath but not the tiles. Where the builders have siliconed the grouting for cosmetic reasons on the vertical wall corners, the silicon has peeled off. So I think regardless of whether it was sealed prior to the tiles going on, the silicon would still not have adhered to the tiles.

Regards,

Jackie

If the sealer was solvent based and not fully cured , then it will cause this issue of bonding.

T

trevortine

If you get stuck pm me, I'm working local this week and would be only to happy to help you out!

S

SJPurdy

With travertine you should be using a neutral cure silicone. Acetoxy silicones release acetic acid as they cure and this can attack the surface of the stone resulting in a weak bond.

Reply to Silicon that will grip to Fila Colour Intensifier in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks