Discuss Shower tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

notaclue

Hi all

Need some help please.
Fitting a new shower enclosure, 1200 wide, half the backing wall is old plaster on stone in fair condition but needs a skim, other half is an old doorway that someone has blocked off with std 12.5mm plasterboard & is unfinished (was hidden behind some panelling).
I would need to skim the plasterboard to bring surface flush to wall.

Intend to tile this area with medium weight ceramic tiles, what suggestions for preparing & finishing ready to tile?

Thanks in advance :helpsmilie:

D

diamondtiling

Welcome to the forum.

You need to remove the plasterboard and fit aqua panels for a shower area, Skimming the surfaces is not going to give you the ideal surface to tile on.

:thumbsup:

N

notaclue

Welcome to the forum.

You need to remove the plasterboard and fit aqua panels for a shower area, Skimming the surfaces is not going to give you the ideal surface to tile on.

:thumbsup:

Thanks, but half the shower area is not boarded, that's why I am a bit confused

A

aqua blue

I would remove plasterboard then batten out the wooden door frame (with extra noggins if needed), level to the plastered side, then screw aquapanel to door frame and wall plug the aquapanel to the plastered side and tank tape seams.

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you do go down the plastering route I would strongly advise you to fit a waterproof membrane to the shower area such as durabase or homelux waterproof matting. Have a look on wetdecs site for durabase. These products will prevent any water penetration through to the plaster which would cause the de-bonding of the tiles. These matting systems are easy to install with a thin bed of flexible adhesive. They can be tiled on as soon as they've been installed as well.:thumbsup:

B

Bartlett

I would remove plasterboard then batten out the wooden door frame (with extra noggins if needed), level to the plastered side, then screw aquapanel to door frame and wall plug the aquapanel to the plastered side and tank tape seams.

Think is what I was thinking :thumbsup:
Avoid plastering, just create a good level waterproof surface to work on, although this assumes you have enough room for battens and boarding?

A

aqua blue

notaclue, since you have some battening in place you may consider a recessed shower niche. You can buy these pre-formed. By the sound of things, this would be a simple installation if desired.

All the best with the installation.

N

notaclue

Thanks for suggestions, since half of the 1200 back shower wall will be set against an existing solid wall I have decided to do the following:
Skim the plasterboarded section & then use homelux waterproof matting before fitting shower panels & tiling.
Sound OK?
:smilewinkgrin:

A

aqua blue

notaclue. How you do it in the end is up to you. Personally I would do it the way I suggested. I would (don't normally do this) fix the aquapanels horizontally which should work out well with you measurements. The reason for this is because you have a composite wall. Two different structural halfs. This method would bridge that possible weakness. Do it once do it right. Don't forget the tanking tape.

A

aqua blue

before I go... you will need extra noggins-cross struts in the door frame to secure the aqua panels to. Use non corrosive screws throughout.

Hope this info has helped!

B

Bartlett

Agree with aqua blue. Would be better to use the aquapanels or similar and so have just one substrate. Definitely better if you go down this route, may take longer, may be a little more expensive, worth it in the long run for sure.

A

aqua blue

Bartlet, I think my way would be quicker. All it needs is some 3mm or whatever strips to level to solid wall profile, three noggins lapped at each end, some quick chiseling on the existing door frame. Once that's screwed in to accommadate panels it's drlling the holes in the panels transfering those via nail to mark the drill holes for the solid wall plugs. Once those are knocked in it's just a case of some adhesive on the solid wall, fitting and taping. A competent DIYer could do this in a day easily and would'nt have to wait for plaster to dry. I don't think it would be that much more expensive either.

However, we all have choices.

B

Bartlett

You could be right Aqua, not so difficult and needn't be too expensive. Really I was thinking of someone who has not used tilebacker previously, but you're right, a confident DIYer should be fine.

A

aqua blue

......and a perfectly flat surface upon which to tile, even if you are not a confident tiler where could you go wrong? :lol: :yikes: ... Only joking notaclue!!

Reply to Shower tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay