Discuss Should I have used SBR to prime on top of floor levelling compound in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RWB

Hi all,

I've been reading all your helpful advice to everyone, so after tearing my hair out for most of the day thought I would sign up. Please could someone clarify if I should've used Cementone SBR on top of a self levelling latex floor compound. I originally stripped the old kitchen floor and all signs of adhesive etc. I then used SBR to prime and seal before applying the self levelling compound. This was down for a week and got a little dusty etc, so I decided to prime with SBR again. My initial reason for doing this was to stop the water getting sucked out of the adhesive (probably a stupid reason I guess). I used a 1 part water, 1 part SBR mix. The issue I have is that some areas seem to have formed a skin. Not massive areas, just the odd 3 or 4 inch patch here and there. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have used the SBR, or whether my mix was not diluted enough, thus leaving me with a bit of rubberising here and there due to it not sinking in. I plan to use a cement based adhesive over this, but am now worried as to whether I should try and remove the SBR, or maybe pour more self leveller over it and then tile directly onto that.

sorry for the immediate request for advice. I'm just at a loss as to what to do.

cheers
Rich

R

RWB

Cheers for the quick response. I knew deep down I had messed up, so have nearly finished sanding it all off now. Will start tiling tomorrow. Thank you both for your advice, I won't bother priming this time, if only I'd done the 4:1 mix in the first place, a waste of a day.

cheers again,

Rich

Reply to Should I have used SBR to prime on top of floor levelling compound in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay