Search the forum,

Discuss should i have done anything different setting out/getting levels? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

redrex

hiya all,

been a busy couple of days, managed to slip in this splashback while the plumber sorts out my other job. other than the rubbish walls that the 'plasterer' left-suggested bin the plasterer next time and use backer board. what i wanted to know is could i have set out differently? this is a galley kitchen, the wall opposite is 4 courses high so fairly simple. on the bit in the pics the left worktop is about 5 mm higher than the right. I ended up with half a cut to the worktops to take up the difference, also these are metro tiles so if i started with a full tile, the bevel would show on the right but i would have had to trim the tiles on the left and the bevel would have gone, so looking a bit odd. the top of the wall is going to be painted so no issues there. also, because the walls where so far out (plasterer), sometimes 10mm and in a wavy pattern, i used keraquick to build out and stick the tiles-customer didnt want twait for plastering to be done again and a wait of a couple of weeks to dry, i didnt want to run the risk of the addy setting and finding out i had missed my levels across the ali splashback so i worked down 5 courses then battened out and went back up. sounds a bit back to front but the levels are perfect (get your rulers out on your screen:lol:) any other way do you think? back tomorrow to do the last 15 tiles:mad2: customer bought exactly the sq/m before i could suggest adding a bit more for wastage. overall im happy with the cuts etc and should look nice when grouted, primed with
primer G. customer also didn't want cuts at either end of the worktop or the tiles go beyond the edges.

Ed

Attachments

• splashback.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 111
  • wetroom 002.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 118
  • wetroom 006.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 119
  • wetroom 008.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 109
  • wetroom 012.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:
R

redrex

oh and heres the customer (another very friendly one) waving me bye for the day!

Ed

Attachments

• wetroom 013.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 98
D

doug boardley

looks a bit strange at first glance with the split tile at the bottom, and my eye was drawn to what would be a cut at the top, but having read your post I see why you've done it as you have and I'm sure it'll look fine when grouted:thumbsup:

D

Daveyboy

It looks a neat job Ed and your explanation for your half cuts at the bottom makes sense...Once grouted, kitchen bits n bobs on the worktops, etc, I'm sure the cuts will not be visible/noticed and it will look the business...:thumbsup:

R

redrex

The ceiling line looks all over the place, some cutting there:yikes:

yeah i was dreading it but customer saved me, coz they will either put up new cornicing or just paint it, he liked the look of the straight edge.

Ed

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow.

How's his pub doing, didn't it shut due to giving 20-odd people food poisoning? Love the blokes mad food personally. Nice job you have there.

C

Colour Republic

Blimey so it is Heston, for a man obsessed with perfection I'm surprised he would put up with that ceiling, in fact I would have expected him to get his feeler gauge out and check your tile spacing.

Redrex - Tiler to the stars!:thumbsup:

Reply to should i have done anything different setting out/getting levels? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen