Search the forum,

Discuss setting out arches/columns/box sections in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ross lewiss

hi
following on from my thread about setting out, are there are things i need to consider for tiling around arches, columns, box sections, and angled ceiliings
again i'll break it down into sections covering what i ahave learned

1.arches- should a full tile sit either side of the arch and then a baton gets fixed above the arch for the cut to sit underneath.
2. columns- lets say the column is wide enough to take 1 tile and half a tile. should i center the column so that there are 2 equal cuts as opposed to and full tile next to a cut.
3. box sections covering pipes- although they are similar to columns, do they get treated differently. does your tiling have to follow setting out procedures that have been done on the previous walls or is it a s simple as a full tile and then the cut next to the return wall were the boxing in fits to the wall (hope that makes sense)
4. angled ceiling- cant figure out what to consider here except that the cut following the ceiling line should be half a tile if its possible. try and avoid small squidgy cuts that look unsightly
5. brick bond- fiind centre of wall, work outwards trying to get a half cut at either end of wall and the same from the floor to the ceiling?
6. diagonal patterns- centre wall and try to have half a diagonal either side if possible. always start with half a diagonal off worktops

sorry for all this, if anybody can help then i'll split my lottery win with you if i win on saturday, could be a fiver, could be 5 million either way, you get half, oh and it could be nothing lol
thanks, ross

ps theres 1 final thread and then its bed time.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
4. Angled ceilings.
Imagine if these drop in height greater than the size of the tile then you will have all sorts of different sized cuts - no getting around it, but don't worry about it, just cut whatever you need to cut.
Here's one I did the other week:
DSCF0224.jpg

There's a small squidgy cut there but it doesn't look unsightly.
If it wasn't there it would have been a little further down and so on so don't worry.

Last edited:
M

MICK the Tiler

1.Ideally archways should include a header course or soldier course as they are sometimes known these are triangular shaped tiles that sit around the top of the arch to give that bit of class to your work. By doing this you won't have to worry about fiddlely bits of tile cut around the curve.

2. Colums if free standind should be centered on all sides or if you wish follow the pattern around, so if yo were using 200x200 tiles and the cut at 1 corner worked to be 60mm then the leading edge on the next face would need to start with a 140mm cut to keep the full tile apperance as you walked around the colunm. all this would also need to be factored into the overall setout of the rest of the job so to the eye it looks appealing.

3. Box sections depending on the layout of the room need to be the same as the opposite walls to look visually correct.

4. angled ceilings, as Macten has said as long as the cuts don't look visually un applealing then this setout would be ok.

5. Brickbond Ideally when working into a corner you should once again try and follow the pattern of the tile size around the corner much the same as with setting out columns this will not always work in some instances and then you have to look at what looks good.

6. Diagonals also should have the pattern followed around the corners for the most visually appealling effect. When doing floors with diagonals and borders try and centre your cuts so they are the same at either side which will look the best.

I've included a few pics to help get the point across as regards to setting out I hope they are a help and can explain it better than trying to write about it.

Attachments

• IMG_0929.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 40
  • window1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 33
  • mosaic-floor.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 39
  • red.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 71
  • wave_liner_corner_detail2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 60
  • posted_best_bizantine_shower2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 39
R

ross lewiss

hi mick

thats brilliant !!! the pictures really help and your detailed descriptions are excellent. no need for a tiling course when you have got guys like you and the rest prepared to help for free. you are all tip guys on here and i really do mean that.
thanks, ross

S

sWe

Hey Mick, I've seen those pics on JB; your handiwork? :) Looks really good, espcially like the round window.

M

MICK the Tiler

I must confess that those photos are not my handy work, they have been posted for inspiration purposes only and to give new tilers a sense of what can be acheived in the art of tile.

Although I do high end work like this down here and work with a coulpe of highly skilled designers and a very understanding architech who allow me the freedom to demonstrate such tiling feats To clients who have the coin to throw around. I probably do about 3 or 4 commisions a year.

Sadly though they are few and far between so I have to make do with the bread and butter work to pay the bills. In the future though as I get older my time will be spent doing commision work all of the time. Only then will I be truly happy as a tiler. :thumbsup:

S

sWe

I must confess that those photos are not my handy work, they have been posted for inspiration purposes only and to give new tilers a sense of what can be acheived in the art of tile.

I went through that entire thread when I saw it, and saved all of the good ones onto my hard drive :) Some of them have been really useful.

Although I do high end work like this down here and work with a coulpe of highly skilled designers and a very understanding architech who allow me the freedom to demonstrate such tiling feats To clients who have the coin to throw around. I probably do about 3 or 4 commisions a year.

Sadly though they are few and far between so I have to make do with the bread and butter work to pay the bills. In the future though as I get older my time will be spent doing commision work all of the time. Only then will I be truly happy as a tiler. :thumbsup:

This kind of work is exreeemely rare over here. Sure, once every now and them someone wants something a little bit more swanky, but almost never anything truly high end. Sad, really.

M

MICK the Tiler

I really enjoy the hard stuff. The harder it is the more I get into it It's a crying shame that over there people just don't appreciate what can actually be done with tile. Jb's site is a wonderful resource for true high end work and some of those guys are highly skilled at what they do (And slightly mad) For all you new guys on here you should seriously consider having a peep at what's on offer in the US as far as high class tiling is concerned. Just a visit can lift your spirits to strive for perfection.

Here's a link you guys/gals for some of the classyist tile jobs you'll lay your eyes on.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31546&page=1&pp=15

Reply to setting out arches/columns/box sections in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen