Search the forum,

Discuss setting out a diamond floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

burncross

which do you find is the best way to set out and starting point for a diamond pattern floor? I was going to find centre lines and check for decent size cuts at edges as a normal square patterned floor.
Then using the centre chalk line on the longest part of the floor as a guide, butter the tiles and lay all the centre tiles keeping the top and bottom corners in line with the chalk line. Then just do either side of this row of tiles ?
is there a better way? :huh2:

A

ad tiling

centre floor with chalk lines check cuts at edge, line up first tile with lines
then lay tiles. diamond floors are the same its just that YOU are at an angle
to the room you still tile to a straight line if in any doubt look at a photo of a
diamond floor then turn it around , hope you get what i mean

D

Daz

I'm with Ad Tiling, I take measurements until I am happy with my starting point, then (effectively) position myself at 45 degrees to "normal" and fix tiles in a straight line as per straight set.

T

The D

Using a measuring tape find the centre of the floor and mark using a pencil.
Repeat this at the other end of the floor.
Using a chalk line ping in the centre line.
Using a measuring tape find the centre of the floor length ways.
Using a preformed square and a chalk line ping in the cross hears.
Using a measuring tape and pencil mark on the cross hears the same distance on all four sides.
Using a measuring tape and pencil mark the centre point diagonally on all four sides.
Using a chalk line ping in the 45 degree cross hears.
Lay a row of tiles along the line and using a pencil mark the floor at the nearest full tile to the corner.
Using a measuring tape and pencil transfer the mark to the opposite side of the corner.
Using a chalk line ping in the new line.
Using the appropriate adhesive fix the full tiles
Cut and fix the tiles to the edges.
Using a measuring tape measure back two tiles and mark the floor at both sides.
Using a chalk line ping in the line.
Fix the full tiles and the cuts.
Repeat the process to completion
It is better with the diagrams but I don’t know how to get them on from power point sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
S

saintdom

say your using your doorway as your focal point,

1. get centre line if doorway.
2. get centre line of door frame
3. draw the two lines using level so you are left with a cross hair
4. using 3 tiles work out your cuts , dont forget using diamond you can get away with smaller cuts than the 1/3 rd rule.
5. using the 3,4,5 method or a laser or the piece of wood with 3 nails in you can get a perfect straight line to the other side of your room.
6. you can draw more lines if you feel the need .
7. if you are left with a small cut tile along the bath you can bring this forward into the tile in the doorway, (you would rather have a few cut tiles along door than a whole row along bath if possible)
8. start fixing in a dog leg fashion, making sure that the top and bottom of diamond are perfectly aligned on your staright line.
9. as long as you stick to this line you should be grand

it does depend on the size room you are doing as to how many lines you want. but do always try and focal of your doorway if poss.

If door aint possible try a hob or the centre of room

Reply to setting out a diamond floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen